Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thanks for the info, I will look into it when I get ready to drop the top deck back on.

Looks like you are off to a good start. Glad to see the GF helping...that's a good woman right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Okie Boarder View Post
    Looks like you are off to a good start. Glad to see the GF helping...that's a good woman right there.
    Thanks man! I'm pretty lucky!

Default Removing Steering cable/wheel to separate from top deck...

Do I need to remove the steering wheel to separate the steering column from the top deck? I removed the 3 bolts that hold the steering unit to the dash, but it looks like the steering wheel has to be removed to have it pass through the hole. Am I missing something?

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

Yes, the helm comes out from the back side.

Quote Originally Posted by flipz96 View Post
    Do I need to remove the steering wheel to separate the steering column from the top deck? I removed the 3 bolts that hold the steering unit to the dash, but it looks like the steering wheel has to be removed to have it pass through the hole. Am I missing something?

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

Use some elbow grease, a flat bar, and some good old fashioned f-bombs. It will pop off. It took me a minute or two but if I remember correctly, it just needed some muscling around to get it off. Its been sitting together for 27 years, it may be slightly corroded in there making it tough to pop apart.

Quote Originally Posted by lmnelson86 View Post
    Use some elbow grease, a flat bar, and some good old fashioned f-bombs. It will pop off. It took me a minute or two but if I remember correctly, it just needed some muscling around to get it off. Its been sitting together for 27 years, it may be slightly corroded in there making it tough to pop apart.
    You can rent (for free!) a steering wheel puller (or use a 3/4 arm puller) from any Oreilly or Autozone.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Quote Originally Posted by flipz96 View Post
    Thanks man! I'm pretty lucky!
    Agreed. My wife has always been like that. Back when I was 15, her Dad owned a automotive repair business. The summer prior to driving I got to work at his shop getting my car ready (had to put in a new engine and other things). We were just friends at the time, but she liked me. She was down at that shop several times a week "helping" me with my car project. Since we've been married, almost all our home projects are things we do together, including a lot of the work on the boat rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    You can rent (for free!) a steering wheel puller (or use a 3/4 arm puller) from any Oreilly or Autozone.
    I removed the setscrew underneath and have a gear puller. Anything else holding it in place? Just dont want to break the steering if i dont have to. Just more force?

I dont know about you guys, but every time I remove or take something apart, I want to upgrade the part ( ie. Helm upholstery, gauges, steering, etc.) i might have a problem!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15402[/ATTACH
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Okie Boarder View Post
    Agreed. My wife has always been like that. Back when I was 15, her Dad owned a automotive repair business. The summer prior to driving I got to work at his shop getting my car ready (had to put in a new engine and other things). We were just friends at the time, but she liked me. She was down at that shop several times a week "helping" me with my car project. Since we've been married, almost all our home projects are things we do together, including a lot of the work on the boat rebuild.
    Thats awesome man! I need to put a ring on it. I sense a little jealously from my side girl "Mariah!"