Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Cap on????

Default Cap on????

I've definitely read the fluff and buff thread. I'm hoping I don't have to take the whole thing apart but only time will tell. One thing is for sure though. There is a ton of information in here and everyone seems to be very willing to help drop the knowledge in us new guys.

Default Cap on????

I've made a little progress. I've got all the foam out and the stringers definitely have some problem areas. Right now, I'm removing all the upholstered panels and I'm not sure how to disconnect the throttle. Can someone give me some guidance. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423945316.024200.jpg

Look behind that plate where the cable is attached. There is a cotter pin holding that round, threaded bit. Remove the cotter pin and it'll easily slide out.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Like Titan said or there's another trick. I can't remember exactly if it's forward or reverse but if you move the throttle lever in one of those directions everything lines up a little better. It won't be a straight pull out but the whole unit will slide forward and then wiggle out.

Default Cap on????

New question... The old stringers stop short of the transom by about 3"-4". Should I do the same thing with the new stringers?

Say what? You have a pic?

Quote Originally Posted by Supranewbee View Post
    New question... The old stringers stop short of the transom by about 3"-4". Should I do the same thing with the new stringers?
    Did they do that so you can reach the bolts for the swim deck? With no motor mounted to the transom, it doesn't *need* to be tied into the floor and stringers. Of course it would be better, but it could make it impossible to bolt on the swim deck. That's my only thought.

Default Cap on????

Sorry, no picture. I'll try to take one tomorrow. Swim platform bolts are off to either side of the stringers so I don't think that is why they did it that way. It's strange. Of all the pics I've seen of stringer jobs on here I've never seen the stringers stop short of the transom.

mine did , but i think it was because they rotted out, but i went back to the transom when i installed the new wood
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Cool

Chris I'm in the same "boat" as you. I can't have the boat out of the water in the summer and have no heated space in winter.
    I'm tearing the floor out this weekend and replacing it with as little stringer repair as I can stand before zipping all back together and praying. Maybe next year we should rent a heated spot and do both our boats...

Since I am in a seasonal business I am coming up to my busiest time, I have no spare hours to do this unless it's in winter.
    I contacted a repair shop who strongly suggested NOT taking the cap off for the reason of hull strength and deformation if worked on without the cap. They did agree it would be a heck of a lot easier without it, but suggested leaving it on. From all the pics I see here I think it makes sense to take it off and be able to properly work on it but I'm scared it may not go back on properly. But who knows, not me, YET...........
    Last edited by Muskoka; 04-02-2015 at 01:20 AM.