Default Has anyone converted from bunks to rollers on their trailer?

I just received my boat a couple of days ago. She is a beauty!!
    A 2011 Launch 242 on a trailer is a BIG boat. I also noticed that it fits pretty tight on the trailer and that there are some prior scratches that appear to be from the fact that it is a very tight fit and may be a result of some fender contact at some point. Wondering whether anyone has swapped out bunks for rollers and if that is even advisable. Another thing to consider is how that might change the height on the trailer for the purposes of getting it into the garage with the tower down which is already an tight fit.
    2011 Supra Launch 242
    Lake Entiat, WA
    Lake Washington

I personally would not go with rollers on the trailer, they seem to be a bigger source of mishaps than bunks at the launches where I am. What you will find is that the proper depth of the trailer is key in launching and recovering our boats. There is such a thing as too deep in the water where the bunks do not get an opportunity to do their job and that is when the boat can get cocked off to the side and superficial marks happen.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Rollers don't seem practical for our boats at all. I've never seen a big boat on rollers be loaded or unloaded smoothly. The bunks work great once you work out how to get your depth consistent.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

I had them on my trailer to make loading easier in shallow water. Became a major pita. Changed back to the bunks. If you get the carpet wet before loading the boat back on there isn't much difference

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady
    Pioneer headunit kicker speakers

I have done lots of trailering and loading/unloading in my days. I cannot ever recall having any difficulties or troubles. Then we got our '42 and it has been a real adjustment to get used to how it goes on the trailer. Depth of the trailer in the water is crucial and the angle of the ramp and height of your hitch is a big deal. The least troublesome method for my wife and I is; I back the trailer in the water and get the bunks wet then pull it up until the fenders are just underwater. Then she pulls the boat up until it is sitting on the bunks solidly. Usually unless the ramp is just the right angle, which seems to be very shallow, I then have to back the trailer in slightly and either winch it the rest of the way or have her use a little throttle and ease it up. More often than not i winch it with a a little assist from the boat. By leaving the trailer a little too far out of the water at first it allows that big ol' gal to square herself up on the bunks. Getting too deep lets it bounce around and get out of sorts. I'd rather be high and have to roll back to finish the loading.

But the best method so far has been moving to the lake and leaving her at the dock. That way I just pull in the slip and air the lift up under her... WAY easier and no chance of any more rock chips. I would vote a big big big no on the rollers. When that much boat is sitting on the trailer, I want it ON the trailer. That said, lots of big boats trailer on rollers but not my cup of tea.

Kevin Allen

Thanks guys! That was just the info I was looking for!!
    2011 Supra Launch 242
    Lake Entiat, WA
    Lake Washington