Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1987 Saltare

Default 1987 Saltare

I just bought an 1987 Supra Saltare and need some engine help. It might be missing some pieces and need some pictures or diagrams of what it should look like. Trying to upload some pictures but says file is too large.
    1987 Supra Saltare
    PCM 454

1987 Supra Saltare
    PCM 454

Wow, I don't want to be a downer but I hope you got it cheap. Looking at the state of dis-assembly, I'd say you've got a bit of a project on your hands. Firstly before you even consider putting it back together, you need to know why it was taken apart. Do you know the story?

To answer your question though, from what I can see, you're missing the thermostat housing and hoses, push rods for both sides, distributor and wiring, ignition coil, and of course all the associated gaskets. Putting it all back together isn't that big a job if you know what you're doing, it's just nuts and bolts. What I'd be more concerned about is how long it's been sitting open. You've got a bunch of mating surfaces that have been exposed for all the time it's been sitting like that, and they'll all need to be properly cleaned before it goes back together.

There are guys on this forum who know much more about motors than I do, so you will get good advice here.

Good luck.

You'll be throwing good money after bad if you start bolting that engine back together. It's obviously got problems and needs a complete rebuild -- and I'd definitely have the block magnafluxed (checked for cracks) and have the heads gone through. It's not impossible for you to DIY a good portion of this but step 1 is going to be to yank it out of the boat and start disassembly.

The good news is that it's a 454 and stock parts are relatively cheap.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

I believe this saltare was on CL, advertised as working great over the summer, but was not winterized at the end of the season, cracking the exhaust manifolds, perhaps more.

Full rebuild....
    Best of luck, you're at the right place for help.
    mr.jrc -- 1986 Supra Saltare

I am going to put in a rebuilt 454 as this one does have a cracked block. The problem is I am not sure where some of the brackets are supposed to be mounted as some are removed. That is why I would like a picture or diagram of what goes where.
    1987 Supra Saltare
    PCM 454

glad to hear your replacing the engine. That one has seen better days. Even if the block wasnt cracked, it looks like its been sitting apart so long that the cylinder walls are probably rusted and will never seal again properly with out a rebuild. I can take a few pics of the accessory brackets on my 454 next time im at my boat if no one can provide them.
    1988 Supra Sun Sport 454 PCM
    1972 Olds Cutlass 455
    1998 BMW 750il
    1996 BMW M3 coupe
    1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

Went to pick up my donor 454 today and hope to pull mine out this weekend. Next they will both go to the machine shop for a total rebuild. Lucky me that both blocks have the same casting numbers.
    1987 Supra Saltare
    PCM 454

So when I get the engine back from the machine shop do I paint it PCM silver, black or Chevy Orange?
    1987 Supra Saltare
    PCM 454

Sounds like you got a good plan. I would do Dark Ford Blue with black valve covers and brackets. Failing that I'd probably do silver engine and black valve covers/brackets/pulleys. There's actually something to be said for a light colored engine and visibility in a bilge if you're in a pinch and working on something. Also doesn't show scratches or chips as easily, at least until they rust.