Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2006 Supra 20ssv assault 325 sputtering problem

I have a 2006 Supra 20ssv inboard with a 325 assault engine and around 250 hours. Mid season last summer I was pulling a rider and crossed another huge wake at speed, almost immediately the boat pops and sputter with half throttle or more, we had to limp back to the dock because the boat would not get on plane . Now ONLY after 2 or so hours on the lake the boat will run bad and we'll have to idle back to the dock. The boat will run perfect, full throttle, pull hard etc while in gear or disengaged. After 2 hours the boat will not rev past 3K while in gear or in neutral, it will fall on its face like its entering limp mode, it will backfire if you keep giving it throttle while its lugging. Oil pressure and temp gauges work and are within spec during the sputtering.

I've replaced the fuel, fuel filter, added stabilizers, isodeet, seafoam, etc, changed and gapped the spark plugs, checked fuel and fuel pressure at the Schrader valve and it was good, looked for exhaust leaks or blockages anywhere in the system, the propeller is good, all throttle linkages are good, there is no distributor cap.

I'm at a loss of what to do. I might try a new fuel pump but I dont think it is the problem. The fule pressure is 60psi constant but I didnt get to check the pressure while it was lugging down unfortunately.

I'm not sure if it is sensor or electrical related due to the original impact, but I know that it is temperature related and most likely fuel related.

Sorry for the long read, I wanted to be thorough on the first post as I have researched this forum and others extensively.

Thanks for any help and input, its greatly appreciated.

P.S. I'll gladly Paypal $20 to whoever can tell me the problem or steer me in the right direction if its not the fuel pump

Getting a fuel pressure reading while it is acting up,,,,, as I think you already know, is going to be key. Obviously since it seemed to start with a big jolt, connections are always suspect, especially at the ecu and fuel pump module (tank connection). The fuel pressure reading would allow you to rule out the pump or connections there to. Not sure where the fuel pump relay lives, but that's another connection worth checking. Unplugging and plugging is usually sufficient to repair a poor connection. Also will make it difficult to know what fixed it if you check a bunch of connections and it stops acting up. Check grounds everywhere you can as well, losing a tenth of a volt through a weak ground is plenty to cause a poor running condition.
    Last edited by Kma4444; 01-31-2015 at 07:42 PM.

Kevin Allen

Thanks Kevin, I checked everything I could find but I didn't actually unplug and replug the connections so I'll try that. The boat is still in storage but I should have it out in a couple months at the latest and checking the fuel pressure while its acting up is going to be my first priority.

Does anyone think this could be a coil pack issue?

A popping is usually associated with a lean condition. It could be a sporadic crank position sensor which could come and go. Usually you can see a bad crank signal by watching the tach, if it spikes or jumps around while you are experiencing the problem that could be a clue. It wouldn't just follow the engine speed it would jump around quickly. Depends on the tach design if it reacts quickly enough but most newer ones do.

Kevin Allen

Get it hooked up to the scan tool at your nearest dealer, it will tell you all the fault codes the engine has produced. I had problems yesterday, going into limp mode with a 1000 rpm limit. Scanned it, turns out my oil pressure sender died.

I have an 04 ssv and had similar problems. I was getting 30psi (spec'd) but after an hour or so, it would drop in half with the RPMs dropping around 2k. I put in a new fuel pump and thought that was it. Nope. I pulled the tank and found some trash that may have been clogging the pickup tube but don't know if that was it since it is still sitting in pieces. If that's not it, I'm at a loss. Good luck and let me know what you find out! When I finally get mine together and out on the water I will let you know if it worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info jarodag, I would have thought for sure your problem would have been the fuel pump...

Does anyone know of a cheap scan tool for these indmar assault 325 engines ? Closest dealer is 3 hours away and any reputable shops are 2. Ill probably leave the shop with a 2K bill and the same problem.

"Scan tool", and "Cheap" are never found in the same sentence unfortunately, haha.

Some other things to look at from some google searches of your issues...

1) fuel pressure regulator could be acting up when warm. This would cause normal operation until it gets heat soaked from running, then it could start causing unregulated fuel to increase spikes or not allow enough through. Having a gauge on the shrader valve will be required when it's acting up to get an idea if you're having spikes or drops and when.
    2) Potentially vapor lock. I know these boats have had issues with this. Does your problem occur only after you've shut the boat down, then restart? If you went out and ran the boat constantly the whole time, you likely wouldn't experience vapor lock. You WOULD experience vapor lock if you drive a couple hours, shut down the motor for 10-20 minutes or so, then start again and experience the problems then.
    3) Bad distributor assembly.
    4) Bad ignition module - these can heat up and start sending bad signals if they've gone bad.

Start with the cheap stuff, but there's some ideas.
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

http://www.rinda.com/acro/prodlist.pdf

They do sell a MEFI 1-4 scan tool for $49. I don't know if your boat is a MEFI 4 or MEFI 5, though. It should be MEFI 4 (which was the standard for Indmar up through 2007, but you'll want to verify the port configuration. The Diacom software package is $579 and includes the scanning capability (but you may need to buy the right cable.)

You can also make your own MEFI code reader by shorting out ECM pins and using a test light. Here are instructions and a list of blink codes. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget/103342-make-marine-efi-code-tool-less-than-$1-00-a.html

Edit -- Also just remembered that MEFI 4 systems have 2 wire connectors at the ECU, and the MEFI 5 system has 3 wire connectors. Should help you figure out which one you have.
    Last edited by wotan2525; 02-16-2015 at 06:20 PM.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Where is the fuel pressure regulator? Ignition module?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk