Default 1987 Supra...Looking for advice.

I'm considering selling my 87 Comp, and curious as to what you all think it maybe worth.
    It has a tower from DIY wake.
    The interior, less carpet and helm wrap, has been completely redone. The captain chair is not original.
    Wetsounds Pro-60s, Wetsounds 12" sub under the Starboard bow. 4 Polk 6.5 speakers for the interior and Wetsounds WS-420 EQ.
    All that is powered by 3 Polk amps. 1-650rms for the two tower. 1-650rms for the four inboat. 1-800rms for the sub.
    There are two batteries, one for start one for radio. The radio is actually a Gel cell out of a cell phone tower that is amazing! It's connected to the charging source, 100amp alt, via constant duty relay that when the key is OFF the radio will not discharge the start battery. When the engine is running, both batteries charge. Been using it like this for 3 years or so without issue!

Transom lights

The boat had about 1000 hours on it when I re-build the Velvet drive, all clutches, gaskets, reverse clutch springs, including the damper plate.
    I also swapped out the engine. It was not "new" but had an average of 150psi per cylinder compared to the MAX 95psi on the old tired engine. Carb rebuilt, water pump has new impeller.

The trailer has new tires, lights and tongue jack. The bunks were re-supported with new hardware.

The hull was completely wet sanded from 800-1000-1200-1500 then wheeled out. That was a few years ago. The actual underside of the hull was not done however.

Just curious as to what you guys think it could be worth. I saw this vintage supra around here asking 3500 with nothing even close to what I have done on mine.

I'll try to find some other photos.

My boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    Last edited by Ryan351; 02-17-2015 at 01:10 PM.

The key here is going to be the stringers and floor, without those either being totally solid or completely redone, even though you have all this awesome stuff done to it, the boat is probably only going to get interest in the $5K range. Now, with that being said, from what I see your boat sure is a looker but sadly the Comp market is really soft.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Thanks for the input Jetlink....
    This is the boat I was referencing. Hard to believe I'd only get 1500 more.
    I'm use to working and building race cars and I know that it's not linear increments in money put in.

But still...
    http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...Comp-102422308

Thanks for the info Jetlink.
    I totally get that the comp market is soft. Not surprising. But the person who will want this will someone who wants an easily towable, very reliable boat that they don't have to do anything to and have a good time, and not spend a ton of cash.

Full disclosure though, a classic Comp with wood stringers that haven't been touched yet is about a $5-6K investment on top of the purchase price of the boat, unless you have the tooling and intestinal fortitude to tackle the restoration on your own. You might "get lucky" and find some schmuck who doesn't know anything about early Supras and only sees all the nice things done with your boat but anyone who is familiar with classic Supras or does a basic Google search will find this forum and find out all sorts of information about what to look for and what a good price for the boat is worth.

Not attacking you at all, as I said your boat is gorgeous to the eye, it's the untouched stringers and floor that are going to hurt your sale I think.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Keep in mind that the listing you have posted is asking $3500 (and considering how green everything is in the photos, it's been sitting for a while.)

How quickly do you need to sell?

The unfortunate thing you need to consider is that the comp is a slalom boat. Most of the course skiiers near me would be fine with a $5000 boat, but they wouldn't be fine if they felt like they were buying a bunch of stuff they didn't need (stereo, tower, wrap, batteries, etc.) You have a boat that (as odd as it sounds) may be worth more money without all the accessories.

Your market may be different. And you may be able to find someone that realizes they can't get any more of a party boat in the $6000-$7000 range.

Those of us that have done floors/stringers know that we'd need a hefty discount to buy a boat that was still original.... but the rest of the market may not realize that.

I'd probably ask $6500 in the spring and be ready to deal if the right buyer reaches out. I agree that it's worth more than $3500.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

You might consider pulling the stereo, tower, and batteries out and parting this all out separate. I sold my 90 sunspot last year and pulled off some of the goodies I wanted to keep and it really made little to no difference on the asking price .
    Just a thought

That is a good looking boat ...
    I really hated to see my 90 go we had her for 15 years , but I love the 08 .
    Last edited by SWS; 02-18-2015 at 02:28 PM.

Jetlink, I'm not taking anything said here as an attack! I was only saying that I had a hard time seeing getting 1500 more. That's all.

Wotan2525, I know that dealer and where they're located. It's not a prime spot by any means. Their shop is about as big as a cubicle. But don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking them by any means, they just don't get the word out like some other dealers would. So because they still have it, I'm taking with a grain of salt. That's all.

SWS I thought about pulling the audio stuff, but then the tower would have holes in it. If I pull the tower the deck will have holes in it. I'd rather get an extra 500 bucks for the boat with the tower than pull it off and get 650. Just my stance.

Thanks for the thoughts guys!! I really do appreciate it, and shows where I stand on this thing.
    Also, thank you for the compliments, took me years to get it where it is, one summer at a time!

I think it's just a reality we all face. The boat market has changed alot over the years with no signs of slowing. Granted, the comp market hasn't changed as much but it hasn't gotten any larger as a percentage of the boat market. As used v-drives come down in price our boats are losing value. Again, this isn't as big of a factor for the die-hard slalom crowd. But, as mentioned, that crowd may not want the tower, etc. They may want fuel injection and other newer features and again those aren't hard to find on slightly newer boats which are also losing value pushing our values down.

I agree with Wotan's approach. Put a reasonable number on it and go from there. Look around and see what that same money can buy. That's what buyers will be choosing between.

Good luck

To use Jetlinks' words here, "don't take any of this as an attack" I enjoy a good convo!
    But I feel from reading these posts the boat is being looked at as a hacked up slalom boat, instead of a slalom boat with a stout wakeboard option.
    Regardless of that, my sisters ski, they love the music, we hang towels from the tower, and in todays world, there are far less strict slalom skiers than there are people who do everything. Wakeboard, surf, ski (tubing...not on my boat ) The tower and audio won't take anything away from the boats ability to pull skier.
    And lets be honest, who need 4 blacked out 20" wheels on the trailer their Response sits on? Nobody NEEDS that stuff.

Salty-man that's a DAMN fine point you made about fuel injection boats, that started in what, 90, or so? Time is of the essence to sell this, I'm in diminishing returns!