Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Default okie boarder's house

Well, I thought I'd go ahead and post the floor plan and layout to take a look at, as we prepare to start the building process. Our original intent was to do a farmhouse style design, and we really wanted to try to stay with a fairly rectangular shape. With the rooms and layouts that we wanted, it wasn't seeming real feasible. After some sketches and tweaks, we settled in on this design. This keeps our square footage down around where we need it to be for our budget, while giving us the layout and rooms we want. Some of the design in the plans is going to be decided as we go along, like the exact cabinet layouts and some styling features. I'd say 85-90% of what we'll end up with is captured in the drawings. The elevation drawing is representing a generic stone, siding and paint color that will likely change. This first picture is really close to the color scheme and stone we'll do.

In addition to the color scheme in the first picture, we are thinking about adding some texture differences where the siding is. Our thought right now is to do board and batten on the faces of the porches, shake shingle type surface in the gable ends and the lap siding everywhere else.

Couple things that caught my eye; is there any way to turn the garage 90 degrees so you don't see the bay doors when approaching the house, instead of the 3 bays, one large and one small. The two gable walls on either side of the front door look like they need windows. I like the rock veneer around the whole house. Don't change it to just the front to save budget or just cut it all together. I would place a wood ledger on the top of it instead of the cap, painted the trim color. Fake shutters are fake. Take that budget and add it to the window trim package. Fully wrapped interior window trim really makes a impact. Back to the garage.... Any possibility of taking the last Bay and putting a garage door on the other end also? Add Windows along the rear wall of the garage. I put in privacy glass in mine so no one could look inside but it let's allot of light in. I have a 1100sqft shop with a 16x12 on one end and a 10x10 on the other end and love the cross ventilation and light effects it makes. Just observations.
    Last edited by CornRickey; 02-21-2015 at 01:05 AM.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

A couple more, delete the shower in the hallway bathroom, make it a powder room (toilet /sink) give that space to the office closet for linen and low voltage wall box (TV, cable, routers, phone, data) and all of the other stuff that needs to be hidden. Put French (or as I like to call them freedom) doors or at least a man door in the master to the back porch. Mechanical must be going in the garage? My kids wouldn't be getting walkin closets because they don't use hangers anyways but that's me. exciting times for sure. Trying but exciting.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

CornRickey must be reading my mind I would make all the same changes move the windows in the mud room and front bedroom to the front it wont cost any more and will add to the look of the front. Go with one 16' and one 9+ garage doors as high as possible. your wife will thank you for it later and don't even think for one moment you are done with boats Its cheaper and easier to make the changes now to accommodate the new boat coming in the future . Is there going to be a basement ?

Quote Originally Posted by CornRickey View Post
    Couple things that caught my eye; is there any way to turn the garage 90 degrees so you don't see the bay doors when approaching the house, instead of the 3 bays, one large and one small. The two gable walls on either side of the front door look like they need windows. I like the rock veneer around the whole house. Don't change it to just the front to save budget or just cut it all together. I would place a wood ledger on the top of it instead of the cap, painted the trim color. Fake shutters are fake. Take that budget and add it to the window trim package. Fully wrapped interior window trim really makes a impact. Back to the garage.... Any possibility of taking the last Bay and putting a garage door on the other end also? Add Windows along the rear wall of the garage. I put in privacy glass in mine so no one could look inside but it let's allot of light in. I have a 1100sqft shop with a 16x12 on one end and a 10x10 on the other end and love the cross ventilation and light effects it makes. Just observations.
    With the lot layout we wouldn't really be able to go for a side load garage. We have somewhat of a dry creek, water runoff the cuts through the property that we will be working around a bit. Going to the side load would make that workaround a bit tougher. The two front gables originally had windows in them, but we didn't like how they look. It was very unbalanced looking and it took away from the symmetrical farmhouse look we're going for. We will keep the rock all the way around; we originally had it on the porches, too, but took it off to draw the eye to the porch. We may do a wood cap if we can. Our thoughts right now are to do lap siding on most of the house with shake shingle looking siding on the gables and board and batten on the porches. We'll paint that all the same color in a little darker grey than that first picture. We feel like the shutters give it that farm look and we're hoping to build them with solid lumber, preferably reclaimed wood. We may add the back side garage door if the budget allows...we should have our bids in from the couple contractors we're considering, in the next week or two. The architect had windows on the back of the garage, but I had him remove them. I'm not sure I want to deal with windows as far as cleaning and working around them with shelving. But, I understand your point about light...maybe it would be worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by CornRickey View Post
    A couple more, delete the shower in the hallway bathroom, make it a powder room (toilet /sink) give that space to the office closet for linen and low voltage wall box (TV, cable, routers, phone, data) and all of the other stuff that needs to be hidden. Put French (or as I like to call them freedom) doors or at least a man door in the master to the back porch. Mechanical must be going in the garage? My kids wouldn't be getting walkin closets because they don't use hangers anyways but that's me. exciting times for sure. Trying but exciting.
    We thought about doing just a powder room, but then thought "where would guests shower while visiting", so we went with the 3/4 bath there. We thought about a door to the patio, but didn't see ourselves using that much and were concerned about losing that wall for furniture placement. Our boys do hang stuff a lot, but we will plan a combo of closet rods and shelves in their closet so they can do both. Mechanical will be a combination of garage and attic. We're going to go ahead with the point of service, electric, tankless water heaters, so that eliminates the need for WH closet. We'll have the well pressure tank and the HVAC and that's it.
    Last edited by Okie Boarder; 02-21-2015 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    CornRickey must be reading my mind I would make all the same changes move the windows in the mud room and front bedroom to the front it wont cost any more and will add to the look of the front. Go with one 16' and one 9+ garage doors as high as possible. your wife will thank you for it later and don't even think for one moment you are done with boats Its cheaper and easier to make the changes now to accommodate the new boat coming in the future . Is there going to be a basement ?
    On the garage doors, we like the symmetrical look and also like that it will give a bit more room per car for opening doors, etc. We are doing 12' ceilings in the garage so we will probably do 9' doors. The 1st and 2nd bay will be parking for my wife and I. The 3rd bay will be more shop oriented. I think if we did ever get another boat (which I really don't see happening), we would accommodate it with a shop. No basement...those are very rare here.

On the shutters, we're thinking we may do them so they are actually functional or at least really look that way. Like this...