Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Playing around with siding texture and stone colors a little bit to see what we think. I think we want to find stone that is a bit more colorful, maybe do the garage doors in a black or blackwash look and maybe do some color shade variation on the gable peaks and the porches. Full plan set is complete and one contractor already bid...waiting for the rest so we can decide who we want to go with.

So, we sat down with the contractor last night to finalize and approve plans and make any last minute changes for his bid. During that conversation, we talked about several thoughts on options. Regarding the water heater situation, we spoke in more detail of costs and options. He said that with our 4 bathroom set up and hot water needs, the tankless configuration costs about $1100 in equipment and around $5-6k in additional electrical and plumbing costs. We discussed another alternative to the typical 40 gallon water heater in most houses and that is a smaller tank configured with a recirculator. Have any of you had much experience with this? He's installed them in several houses and said he plans to do the same in his own house whenever his standard water heater decides to go out.

I installed the tankless heater in my home myself, love it and would never go back to a tank type heater.
    not sure why he is telling you 5-6k for electrical and plumbing sounds a little fishy to me as all it takes is a 110v outlet if it is a gas or LP gas heater and a gas line, now if it is 220v electric tankless heater it is a little more expensive for the electrical but nowhere near 5-6k...there is no more plumbing for tankless verses tank type heaters.
    I ran into this when I installed mine, this is the reason I ended up doing it myself.
    I put in a rinnai gas tankless was about 1800 bucks for everything I needed, plumbing contractors wanted to charge me $7500.00, and to think they should be able to buy for less that what I can buy for...

On the heater with recirculation system that is what I tossed out, they work fine when they work but don't last long and expensive to repair, there are to many working parts to it IMO....

Good luck on your build.
    Last edited by Swamplandkarl; 03-13-2015 at 02:30 PM.

Default okie boarder's house

The 5-6k figure may include a larger main coming in, long runs inside etc. for a good whole house with your size running an electrical version may bump your panel up 100A + to pass inspection, etc.

So, the plans and bids were finalized and we settled in on a contractor. The one we selected is somewhat of an acquaintance from the church we used to go to. He wasn't the least expensive, but he was the most open to making this a truly custom design and layout versus a nicer version of a cookie cutter home, while still staying within budget. He is planning to let us do a couple major items in the construction, which also helped with staying in budget. We made some adjustments to the plans...added a few windows in the garage and removed the window in the laundry/mud room. We may adjust window size in the kitchen and make a few small changes on lighting layout and style, but those won't be big changes. Everything is in the bank's hands now for final approval and funding. Hopefully, we'll be breaking ground in the next couple months.

Thought I would post some pictures of the property. It doesn't look real "pretty" right now since things are just starting to green up. You can get a pretty good idea of the layout, with it being more in dormant mode, though.

Here are some views from the south side of the property looking north and northwest.

Back (east) side of the property.

Further west...

Looking more NW...

Looking north around the mid section of the property west to east...

A few more views from the south looking north...

Here are some views from the west side of the property looking east.

Near the SW corner...

Mid area...our son is standing around where we want to put the house...

Near the SW corner...

A couple near the middle, looking east and NE...

These views are from the NW corner of the property.

Looking SE...

Looking east...

Looking NE again...

Looking north from the SW corner...wife (pink shirt) is at the NW corner of the property.

Looking east from SW corner...

Looking ENE from SW corner...