Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Common 05-09 Launch/Sunsport 22/24 issues?

New to the forum but been lurking for a while. We're in the hunt for a used boat and believe we've narrowed it down to a Supra/Moomba or Malibu. I've read some informative threads on the Bu forum regarding years/vintages with common issues but haven't been too successful locating that information here (which could be a good thing I suppose).

Based on experience, anything particularly GOOD or BAD from 2005-2009ish that one should be on the look-out in the Supra line?

Thanks in advance, much appreciate any intel.

-cw

I can't think of any bad. It's all about how well the PO took care of them.

In 2009 supra went to the reversible ballast pumps.......I believe 2008 and earlier were sprinkler valve which you may want to upgrade....also in 2008 they went to dripless driveshaft seals although it wasn't until 2010 some time that they figured out that they had to be cooled off the tranny cooler drain in the ext 340 cat motors ..easy fix......the thermostat housing was reconfigured in 2010 to deal with overheating issues in the ext 340 cat engines. I would pay extra for the 2009 over the 2008 just for the improved ballast system. Imo

btw the low bows on the 22 and 24 are dunk masters if you are not careful.....the 21 V is almost un dunkable
    Last edited by docdrs; 02-26-2015 at 12:07 AM.
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by docdrs View Post
    In 2009 supra went to the reversible ballast pumps.......I believe 2008 and earlier were sprinkler valve which you may want to upgrade....also in 2008 they went to dripless driveshaft seals although it wasn't until 2010 some time that they figured out that they had to be cooled off the tranny cooler drain in the ext 340 cat motors ..easy fix......the thermostat housing was reconfigured in 2010 to deal with overheating issues in the ext 340 cat engines. I would pay extra for the 2009 over the 2008 just for the improved ballast system. Imo

btw the low bows on the 22 and 24 are dunk masters if you are not careful.....the 21 V is almost un dunkable
    Thanks, this is the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by c h r i s View Post
    Thanks, this is the kind of stuff I'm looking for.
    Also for pre-2009 models, depending on where you live and the temp range, you may have to deal with and/or resolve the occassional issue with vapor lock. I think '09 models put the fuel pump in the tank but the years leading up to it still have it too close to the engine block and it gets pretty hot when the temp reaches 98 degrees and above.

I have an '08 Launch 21V and I'm super pleased with the build and crafstmanship that went into this boat. Easy to maintain and care for - great boats.

Good luck, hope it helps.

John Young, Supra Launch 21V
    Apex, NC

How much lower are the 22 and 24 bows? Like the 21v but they're not big enough for my clan and momma is not going to be cool with a swamp monster if that's a common issue.

As for the temps, I boat in the Midwest. May have to up my budget and vintage and skip the vapor and ballast issues.

The 22 and 24 share a lot of similarities. The 21v is a different boat, higher freeboard. I have several pics of the earlier year models I'll add. 21v will have a more consistent wakeboard wake while the 22 and 24 will have a longer surf wave. Both do the opposing but that is where their strengths lie. I'm sure you have seen the interior layout differences in the 22 and 24 vs the 21v. Other consideration ... do you prefer the playpen bow or walk thru bow?

2005 is the first year model for a couple of those boats I believe? 2007 saw an upgraded dash which is more of a "smart" system. You got a lot of good input on the 08 and up models.

The sprinkler system on the older boats is slow but can be easily swapped (though I haven't done it). It takes me 15 minutes or so to fill but I'm usually in no hurry and fill while driving. (1100's all around). If you are worried about doing ballast upgrades, though, I'd definitely lean Supra over Malibu if you plan to surf. Much easier to upgrade weight.

My issues with vapor lock have been easily solved with a bottle of water from the ice chest. I've ran in AR heat approx 100 hours a year for 3 years in a 06 340. I've, probably, vapor locked an average of 2 or 3 times per summer.

What's your budget and what will you be doing with the boat?

Pics the boats you mentioned I've been around ....

22v - 2007 (weighted rear heavy)

21v - 2005 (weighted pretty evenly)

24 - 2006 (likely weighted a little front heavy)
    Last edited by KG's Supra24; 02-28-2015 at 12:13 AM.
    2006 Supra 24SSV

Thanks KG. I like all 3 versions, but really want the 15 or 16 person capacity vs 13 in the 21v. We have a Fam of 5 and often boat with friends/add'l Fam. Often tied up in a cove or at busy cliff areas at Table Rock Lake with kids so I can't have issues with swamping. By your pics I'm assuming it's a non-issue if my ballast are empty.

Never surfed, but plan to once I get the new ride. I would guess 50/50 board/surf.

Budget cap is $50k, would prefer to stay high 30's to low 40's but willing to step up for the right boat. Right now my problem is I can't make up my mind and it's too cold most places to go for test spins.

Just to qualify my statement on dunking or swamping.....an experienced driver will have no issues preventing this from happening , its inexperienced drivers turning around for pick up during heavy weighted surfing sessions when it will occur.
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Agree with Doug, an experienced driver can overcome the bow dip.

Some of it comes down to the lake and how much you are paying attention. We visit a calm lake and I never think about the bow. However on the busy lake we go to, I'll occasionally not be paying attention and take some water over the bow but nothing too serious. It's usually just a nice cool off for the front passengers

As for the size. We absolutely love the space we have. It maneuvers kinda like a slug but once you get used to it, no problem. Just like most inboards, but a little bigger than most.

I know of 2 24's that you won't find listed but could be for sale and would fall in your price range of high 30's to low 40's. Do you like red or black FWIW, the red 21v above sold last year for mid to low 30's at a dealership.
    2006 Supra 24SSV