Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Need new ring gear flywheel!

Never ending problems! Everyone is saying I should just set fire to this thing, haha. Since I am too stubborn to give up on it, i will be working on a new project - Ring Gear Flywheel!

I tried starting up the boat today and after the 2nd attempt I started getting a nasty grinding sound. I took the starter out to made sure the bendix was good, put it back and still got the grinding. So, I got the newer starter and I got the same sound. I thought the bendix wasn't engaging the flywheel. Turns out I was right, because the flywheel's teeth were grinding off. I manually cranked the engine and inspected about 1/2 the teeth. It seems like for a while the bendix was grinding only the front half of the each tooth - i'm guessing the rest are like this.

Time for a new ring gear flywheel.

Is this something I could do myself? I know I can take the tranny off without removing the engine block- I read csuggs when he changed the fly damper plate. My concern is the difficulty of switching out the ring gear flywheel - is it possible for me to do that or is that a job for a shop?

Or could I just flip the ring gear?
    Last edited by awesomesteven; 05-10-2013 at 06:54 PM.

damn, you're gonna be the expert soon. i've done the damper plate but not a flywheel.

good luck!

I've heard of guys flipping the ring but I don't know if that is possible with our set up. If it is I think I would put a new on anyway. My dad was able to switch the gear on his flywheel and he used a oxy/acet. torch to heat the ring up and slip it onto the flywheel.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

I don't have an oxy/acet torch. I only have a couple of the little blow torches that you can buy at home depot. Could I take it off if I have three of these torches at once (with buddies helping out)?

Would this one fit - $25? It's 157 teeth but skidim has it for like $130...big price difference

I don't think your link is working. I wouldn't know anyways. I think the small torches would work but use the mixed gas bottles that are hotter like map gas. Another thing you could do to help is freeze the flywheel.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...030_0359530904

There we go. It probably would have helped had I actually included the link!

Freeze the flywheel? Wouldn't that also shrink the ring along with the flywheel?

Get the old one off. Heat the new ring, freeze the flywheel.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Ok. So it seems like this should be a pretty straight forward task. Any suggestions as to what else I should change out while I have the Tranny out? Also, is there a gasket between the block and Tranny? I couldn't find it on skidim.

I would definitely to all the research prior to taking it apart. I have no experience with removing a marine tranni. I started wondering though on a car with auto tranni there is a flex plate not a flywheel. Flex plates are one piece with the ring gear on it. I do know they have a damper plate that the springs will chatter when worn. I'd research th validity of changing it out also considering the labor of the job, hours on it and cost of the part. As for seals you must be talking about the rear main seal. I'd replace it if it was a vehicle but again I'd take the same path as the damper.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

You should replace the rear main while it's apart. It's easy and cheap preventative maintenance. You can use the regular auto one.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.