Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Swim platform pad replacement

I'm looking to replace the 2 "pads" on my platform (89 Sunsport). I just heard from Seadek and they don't recommend black, saying it is hot and can shrink up to 1/2" in sunlight. the pads I'm replacing are black and the heat has not been an issue, but the shrinking is definitely a concern. Any recommendation on other products besides Seadek?

Quote Originally Posted by dkelly4819 View Post
    I'm looking to replace the 2 "pads" on my platform (89 Sunsport). I just heard from Seadek and they don't recommend black, saying it is hot and can shrink up to 1/2" in sunlight. the pads I'm replacing are black and the heat has not been an issue, but the shrinking is definitely a concern. Any recommendation on other products besides Seadek?
    I would check into Hydro Turf sheets. Not sure about the shrinkage on black. The PO used the blue camo (which I'm switching out with a solid blue) and I haven't had any issues with i. I'm building a swim platform now to be more surf friendly and I am ordering today.

http://hydroturf.com/

Default Swim platform pad replacement

Hydro turf worked perfectly for my old Supra Mariah and me. I removed the old rubber, polished the old glue off with an electric polisher and used one of the old pieces as a template and cut the two pieces. The adhesive is unbelievable. You'll be happy and so will those getting ready to dive in.

If it ain't broke, sell it.

I used hydroturf on my custom platform. It's great and affordable. I went with the "b-stock" in the diamond molded.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Thanks for the info about Hydroturf. I checked out the website and it looks like that is a great option. Does anyone have some photos of it installed? Also, is the adhesive that you can order with it a peel and stick type already applied to the sheet, or something separate, like a contact cement, that needs to be applied?

Thanks for the info about Hydroturf. I checked out the website and it looks like that is a great option. Does anyone have some photos of it installed? Also, is the adhesive that you can order with it a peel and stick type already applied to the sheet, or something separate, like a contact cement, that needs to be applied?
    You can get it both ways. Contact www.pwcmuscle.com and ask for a "15% forum discount".

The peel and stick adds $30 per sheet to the price. Otherwise you get the DAP Gel contact cement off Amazon.com

I have a custom swim platform that I used it on with the contact cement.

And I did the whole floor of my boat with it too:

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

I don't have my Sunsport anymore, but this is what I put on my current boat: http://www.wakejunky.com/
    He will send you free "test" portions, and was a quick delivery, and the product so far is better than anything else I have used.....and the best part is WAY more cost effective.
    Last edited by suprasam; 04-02-2015 at 12:47 PM.
    Shane

"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch

Quote Originally Posted by suprasam View Post
    I don't have my Sunsport anymore, but this is what I put on my current boat: http://www.wakejunky.com/
    He will send you free "test" portions, and was a quick delivery, and the product so far is better than anything else I have used.....and the best part is WAY more cost effective.
    How is it more cost effective than hydroturf? I was able to get the molded diamond b-stock hydroturf for $40 a sheet less 15% discount from pwcmuscle.com = $34 for a 42" x 62" sheet.

the big sheet of dinogrip is a little bigger (48" vs 42") but is $100. that's like 3x the price of the stuff I used. (admittedly I didn't order the peel and stick adhesive at $30 a sheet before discount).
    Last edited by trayson; 04-02-2015 at 12:54 PM.

You're correct.....I guess I overstated the "cost effect" I'm not putting "hydroturf" down, but doesn't it almost always track color into the boat? Plus "B-stock" aren't there blemishes?
    Shane

"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch

Quote Originally Posted by suprasam View Post
    You're correct.....I guess I overstated the "cost effect" I'm not putting "hydroturf" down, but doesn't it almost always track color into the boat? Plus "B-stock" aren't there blemishes?
    I guess I'll find out. I had hydroturf on my swim platform in blue for the end of last season. I've had hydroturf on my floor for 3 outings. I haven't noticed any color bleed thus far, but will keep my eye out.

As far as the blems, technically yes, there are some of the diamonds that aren't *perfectly* formed on some small sections of my sheets. But to find these sections, I had to stick my face about 6" from the surface and really look to find them. They are there, maybe affecting under 5% of a sheet. But really if you're father than 12" away from the surface, you'd be hard pressed to see it. So yeah, it's an option for someone that is okay saving half the cost. I'm satisfied and if I were to do it over, I'd do it again.

That said, it's good there's other options out there. Competition is always good.