Well, I have been lurking on this forum for almost a year. I guess it is time to make a post.

Last July I bought a 1990 Supra Sunsport and had an absolute blast with it all summer. This year it is time to make some improvements. On my list was a tower (found one on craigslist that fit the bill), some sort of delayed convergence device, and a ballast system. The goal is to maintain a flat and level attitude in the water while having a nice even wake to surf.

At this point, I am still deliberating about the delayed convergence device and am leaning toward something like a wakegate. I think I can build a replacement swim platform that will be a little less intrusive to the wake and at the same time integrate the wakegate so no modifications need to happen to the boat. Regardless, that is still being thought about and I may go with a different design after seeing some of the newer creations manufactures are implementing.

So that leaves ballast. The goal here as mentioned is to use even weight, but a lot of it. I am thinking that if people were able to add 2000lbs to their boat unevenly, I should be able to add a little more evenly and not sink it. I will not go willy nilly adding weight though and will add it gradually and incrementally, but I would like to keep as many options open as I can as far as placement and storage. The locations I have seen used are the ski locker (370lb sack?) under the rear bench seats (another 370lb sack?), either side of the engine (750lb sacs) and under the bow somewhere. Either under the seats in the storage compartments (I think 300lbs should fit there but that takes prime storage), or I have seen mention of a location below the cooler. I am thinking the area discussed was the bilge area in front of the engine. Does that go all the way to the front of the boat unobstructed and without fasteners that would rupture a bag? Here is a link that talks about newer boats being able to take advantage of a large front ballast and I just wondered if I could do the same. Are there other locations that I could hide some permanent bags out of sight? I was looking at some photos after the gas tank was removed on Trayson's boat that looked promising, but pretty close to the exhaust. Would that be too hot for a bag? I don't want to add any permenant weight to the boat if at all possible, so the concrete sack Trayson used would be out for me.

Sorry if these are noob questions, but this is my first boat and I am just trying to get as much out of it as I can as it will take me probably 5 years before I can graduate to a newer vdrive. Thanks for all the help you have already provided me and any future help yet to come.