Default Where to begin?!?

Hate that my first post is worry and questions, but I'm hoping to get some answers as a new Supra owner! The boat: 2007 Launch 24ssv appx 435hrs on it. I purchased this boat yesterday and put it in the water today for the first time, so my first actual hands on at the controls (When I tested the boat prior to purchasing I rode only).
    So the first thing I notice is how loose the wheel is. I know rudder boats will have a delayed or slow response, I'm talking about loose as in very loose up and down and side to side. I removed the 5/6 screws and checked the center bolt in the steering column and it was tight, so I'm concerned why so much play in the wheel?
    My next concern is the tower, as it seems to make lots of squeaking and rattling noise as me ride through light chop to moderate chop on the water. From what I can tell all bolts are securely fastened. The two things I notice are that the rubber that is between the tower and boat has started to come out from between the two and there are small, what look like, stress cracks spidering out from the base of the tower at the front of the boat. How can I tighten this monster tower down and not damage anything?
    Third problem I just encounter as I put the boat cover on for the first time is that several of the snaps/buttons aren't even attached to the hull. The have unscrewed or wallowed out of the hull, so there is no way to secure the cover in several locations along the boat.
    I feel like I might have been screwed by the previous owner...
    Any insight or direction is greatly appreciated
    T

The helm should be held on by three through bolts with nuts on the back side. See if they are tight.

The tower should also be through bolted and you will need to tighten the nuts on the back side.

On the snaps, you could fill the holes with Marine Tex and drill them back out to install the snaps.
    1987 Supra Saltare
    PCM 454

Quote Originally Posted by leetudor View Post
    The helm should be held on by three through bolts with nuts on the back side. See if they are tight.

The tower should also be through bolted and you will need to tighten the nuts on the back side.

On the snaps, you could fill the holes with Marine Tex and drill them back out to install the snaps.
    Thanks for the quick response!! I'll check the backing of the tower and epoxy the holes, but I'm not sure where to find the three bolts holding the helm on? Would I find them on the backside of the wheel/helm?

On the backside of the dash, they go all the way through.
    1987 Supra Saltare
    PCM 454

Quote Originally Posted by atlatr View Post
    I feel like I might have been screwed by the previous owner...
    Any insight or direction is greatly appreciated
    T
    Nothing you have described sounds major. If you're having buyers remorse, that's on you.

Welcome to boat ownership. Get used to little things breaking, going wrong and requiring maintenance. You've experienced one of the best days of boat ownership (the day it comes home.) You'll have great days and you'll have frustrating days. It's all about your attitude and how you deal with broken shit -- if you can do it and keep your sanity, you'll enjoy boat ownership. If every little thing is going to bother you, this is going to be a trying (and expensive) experience. Good luck.

(And post some photos of your tower and the cracks and we'll go from there. Are you sure it's a Monster Tower and not a factory tower?)
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

The spider cracks as I picture them based on our experience are "normal". Hairline cracks around the base.
    The steering wheel may have tilt as well. (I know it goes up and down. It think it may go in and out). If so, does your lever engauge?
    The rattle in the tower again I picture as "normal". Small bumps and chatter rattle the "cage" and wiring in side for the speakers. If you have tower speakers, probably the same noises. To reduce them, TURN THE STEREO UP LOUDER. .

You can take the top of the bar and rock it side to side and it will probably have some sway. If you grab it and rock, watch the base mounts at the boat. You shouldn't see any movement at all there. If your bolts are tight on the boat, and the joint where they unscrew to collapse, you should be fine.

(All of the above statements made without pics, or actual experience on the boat). Enjoy it.
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    5.7L Indmar Assault
    "One More Hour"