Default Input on the SE450 vs SE550

Hi, I am currently negotiating a purchase of a new SE.

The boat is going to be a family boat used for a variety of water sports including surfing and wake boarding.

I anticipate we will typically have 4 to 6 adults on the boat along with up to 6 small children (less than 50lbs in most cases)

I want the boat to be able to accommodate our needs now, but also work for many years into the future.

I am trying to decide if I am going to regret not going with the 575 engine.

Can anyone give some input on at what point the 450 would start to feel inadequate?

I don't know much about the newer models - But I'd say it greatly depends on the weight you're planning to run on top of gear/passengers. If you're going to stick with stock, I can't see a reason to go with the bigger engine. I have an 08 22SSV bought new in 08. We run 2650#'s of ballast for wakeboarding (1200#'s over stock) and usually have 3-4 full grown adults on board. My boat came with the 340 and I have had no problems after over 700 hours of run time with religious maintenance. All that said, my manual says my boat is 3,800#'s dry and I think the SE is pushing 5,500#'s, so probably not a valid comparison.
    Good luck with your purchase - all the new Supra models are looking great. If I were in the market for a new boat, I'd definitely look back to Supra again.
    2008 22SSV

The 575 isn't needed per say, but you might as well if it's in your budget. Nobody ever said "I wish my boat had less power". No idea how maintenance would be on a supercharged marine engine though. That'd be my main concern. I can tell you I'd buy that supercharged motor in a heartbeat if I had the cash to do it!
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

How much weight do you plan on running over the stock amount? If you don't plan on adding weight over stock then the 450 should be more than enough. We rode it with about 5K in the 450 and it was planing off fine. However, if you want to hear the whine of a supercharger that also says ROUSH on it then by all means do it!! Cause that sucker is bonkers.

Default Input on the SE450 vs SE550

What's the difference in price for just the motor upgrade?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MJHKnox; 04-08-2015 at 08:12 PM.
    2018 Supra SL400

Website says its a $9450 upgrade, hell after spending $100k plus whats another 9500.
    Quote Originally Posted by MJHKnox View Post
    What's the difference in price for just the motor upgrade?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    -cjtpilot...........1992 Supra Comp Ts6m..........351 PCM
    Big Air tower
    Radar Theory Slalom, Fulltilt wakeboard, barefoot.

Quote Originally Posted by cjtpilot View Post
    Website says its a $9450 upgrade, hell after spending $100k plus whats another 9500.
    At that point, you're pretty much "all in." Why leave any room for doubt in your mind if you skimped on anything?
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

We've spent some time on the SE 550 and it's an awesome boat. I don't think you would be disappointed with the 450, though. FWIW - we went with the 450 in our SG.

Quote Originally Posted by morebits View Post
    Hi, I am currently negotiating a purchase of a new SE.

The boat is going to be a family boat used for a variety of water sports including surfing and wake boarding.

I anticipate we will typically have 4 to 6 adults on the boat along with up to 6 small children (less than 50lbs in most cases)

I want the boat to be able to accommodate our needs now, but also work for many years into the future.

I am trying to decide if I am going to regret not going with the 575 engine.

Can anyone give some input on at what point the 450 would start to feel inadequate?
    When you are next to a 575..... I would get the bigger engine. After all when its all said and done over the lifespan of the boat it works out to be very little extra yearly costs. I would venture to say the engine in the future for resale will actually help keep the value of the boat from depreciating as fast.

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....