Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I know, the laziness of most people is quite repulsive.
    Function before fashion!

Hopefully it just gelled up like a slushy creating a increase in volume, pushing out the frost plug. Myself I just drain it all and take the boat for a lap around the block on the trailer.

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

Quote Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
    I know, the laziness of most people is quite impressive.
    Fixed it for you.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Watching people early in the year just start their boat up for the obvious first time, and seeing a pink or green puddle behind their boat makes me sad. They contaminate so many acres of water with 1 gallon of antifreeze. Even the pink stuff isn't good, but it's much better.
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

Quote Originally Posted by docdrs View Post
    The antifreeze you sucked up would have gone primarily into the empty side of the engine, once full the circ pump would then start mixing it with the remaining water on the non drained side ,excess would have been pushed into the exhaust manifolds winter using them, the longer you ran the engine the more evenly mixed the solution in the block would have been . I imagine once the 5 gal was sucked up tho you prob shut the motor off, and there might not have been a lot of mixing. Was it just the stripped drain side that popped or both? I really hope you got lucky btw
    I think this is exactly what happened. The motor wasnt run long enough to properly mix the RV coolant once it was in the engine. The press-in freeze out plug closest to the stripped drain plug that was not removed is the one the popped out. all other drain plugs and freeze out plugs are intact.
    1988 Supra Sun Sport 454 PCM
    1972 Olds Cutlass 455
    1998 BMW 750il
    1996 BMW M3 coupe
    1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by tg0824SSVGG View Post
    And don't forget, regular automobile anti-freeze is TOXIC, you shouldn't be running that into the boat and then putting it into the lake.
    Don't worry, I'm not one of "those guys". I was running the boat in my driveway. I like a nice clean lake.
    1972 Olds Cutlass 455
    1998 BMW 750il
    1996 BMW M3 coupe
    1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by tg0824SSVGG View Post
    2500, sure - because of this issue. But I can't tell you how many folks just put the plugs back in, connect all the hoses
    and start it for the first time in the lake.
    When i first got into boating, my buddy used to do this. It drove me nuts. his excuse was "its the hudson river, its already filthy". I still yell at him to this day about it.
    1972 Olds Cutlass 455
    1998 BMW 750il
    1996 BMW M3 coupe
    1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

Most RV antifreeze is primarily alcohol. It will not harm anything dumping it in the water, and is safe (if unpleasant) to drink. You'll know if the antifreeze you used is alcohol because it reeks of alcohol. Most of mine is drained into the bilge (out of the engine) and out of the boat when winterizing, whatever is left is run out on the ground in spring simply because I always run and test the boat on the trailer before taking it to the ramp. I would have no problem running it into the river though and don't believe it would be any different than spilling vodka into the river. I do not use regular automotive antifreeze primarily because I don't want to deal with containing it and disposing of it, and it's more expensive which is pointless when I store the engine dry of any liquid and just the use antifreeze to displace water in low points and help flush my heater core.

Plumbing antifreeze is 10 -30% alcohol. and usu closer to 10%. the reason why is because you do not want evaporation and loss of effectiveness and decrease in volume in traps and such allowing the ingress of sewer gasses thru the winter months. Compare this to windshield washer fluid which is 40-50% alcohol as that is fine as it typically is used up within and smaller amount of time and in an enclosed system. really not sure why i posted this other than to dispel any preconceived notions.
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

The pink marine antifreeze for engines does not contain alcohol.
    1987 Supra Saltare
    PCM 454