Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Yet another compound and wax thread

Guys I have been doing some research and came across this thread. My 95 labrisas gel looks good but isn't perfect. I have a few weekends before I even think about skiing so I have decided to try this. http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...ghlight=Buffer Now I'm not going to wetsand or strip all the hardware off but I am going to do the rest of the steps. What's everyone's thoughts. I ordered all the supplies today from a buddy who owns a paint supply company. Also I'm going to fill a few screw holes in the transom from the speedo pilot I removed.

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady
    Pioneer headunit kicker speakers

We use the 3M product on our jets, good stuff
    -cjtpilot...........1992 Supra Comp Ts6m..........351 PCM
    Big Air tower
    Radar Theory Slalom, Fulltilt wakeboard, barefoot.

The before pics are very impressive. Can't wait to see how it comes out.

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady

I did mine maybe 2 years ago just compound and polish with 3m Heavy duty compound and finesse it polish. Came out awesome and took out the haze that was starting. Followed up with 3m marine paste wax. Lots of work but worth it. This year it's showing some wear, and I think instead of just a wax I'll do a quick polish then wax. I should probably wax it more than just the beginning of the season.

Took me all weekend. Perfect it, Finesse it, 3mhand glaze, then two coats of Meguiars marine wax. Took off all the haze on the cap and the minor oxidation on the hull. Incredible how it came out. Hope it lasts. Two long days and my arms and shoulders still hurt

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady

What type of buffer did you use, I just started buying up my stash ans was considering going that Makita route that he suggests on wakeworld

I got a dewalt. Had a few of the harbor freight deals but I'll tell you they kick your butt. The dewalt seems better balanced. One tip I have is make sure you buy a bunch of pads for each step. 3m color coats the pads to match the polish or compound or wax. The hand glaze step I did but I feel like it's didn't do much. It's easy to put on and off but after polishing it was pretty shiny and the glaze i don't think enhanced it. If you glaze make sure you wax over the top of it or the minute it gets wet the glaze will wash off.

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady

I used a Makita variable speed buffer. Feels very high quality and I feel it was worth the extra money over cheaper options. I've used it on cars, car headlights, misc other things I never would have bothered with before... And I suspect I'll be doing a quick polish on the boat every few years. I'm a quality tool guy. Generally if you use it once it pays for itself instead of outsourcing and every time you use it after that is money in the bank.

DeWalt is good tools too, I have their 20v lithium cordless set which I've used and abused the heck out of and still perform great. Very pleased with those but felt the Makita was a better value for a buffer.

If I didn't get a deal on the dewalt I washing to get a makita. Amazon had a great deal on them last week

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady

Sounds good, I tyically go by the you get what you pay for and since I'm just starting out I figure I need this to last a long time so I went with this guy Makita

Thanks for the tips but just to make sure I understand since my boat is 3 colors; black, blue, & white I should have a foam & wool pad to use while I'm on each color?