Hybrid View

Default Just Bought - 1986 SunSport - See pics

Hey all -

I'm new to the Supra world (for the most part) and this is my first inboard... so lots to learn.

I just purchased this bought from an extended family member... thinking I found a pretty good starter ski/wakeboard boat. Please share any tips/tricks/thoughts, etc.

Paid $5k, which included another prop, a bunch of life jackets, generic cover, and a bunch of other random accessories.

(oh, and as of last week I found out it has a leak... somewhere around the wakeplate, maybe? ...so there's that.)

Thank in advance! And some very inspirational creativity on here with some of the older Supras!

Adam
    Last edited by mnwakeboater; 05-11-2015 at 03:45 PM.

Beautiful boat. Congrats.
    You'll want to figure out where the leak is from.
    Two common places to look at. The packing nut on the drive shaft may need to be adjusted. The packing in the rudder may need to be replaced.
    Hopefully not leaking from a crack in the transom.

Welcome to the board! That's one of the cleaner vintage Supras I've ever seen. It looks like a survivor -- all original teak and it looks realllllly well taken care of. Congrats!

The leak is probably the rudder seals or the prop-shaft packing. Your exhaust is probably also leaking. I'd address all of these just as regular maintenance. These old boats all leak a little bit, you just want to limit how much.

Also -- check your stringers. This one looks well taken care of but that doesn't mean the stringers are good. Search the forum and you'll find lots of info. If you do have a 1986 with original (and solid) stringers.... you just won the lottery!
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Thanks Wotan! I sure hope so!!

So I tested the leak the inverted way, bringing a hose into the bilge... it's dripping from the wakeplate and a little from the right exhaust. I'm guessing there's probably a thread on here to point me in the right direction to repair those?

Also, how do I go about checking the stringers? The floor seems rock solid..

Thanks,
    Adam