Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    I wouldn't 5200 the exhaust, 4200 is more than enough for the job. As for the hesitation, a proper tune-up should help you there. Check the timing, check the plugs and replace the fuel filter and while you do that, drain the tank and start fresh. That should really help narrow it down. You don't have to do these all at once either, maybe one at a time and then try it out again to see if that fixed the problem. I would wait on the prop until the very end because getting the engine dialed in first will help you if/when you go to select a new prop.
    Thanks... I appreciate it... every minute detail to help this newbie thru is helpful. I have a doctor appt for the boat at the local shop to get the once-over since I'm not sure I'm mechanically inclined enough to do some of the tune up. Hate to spend the $300 on a diagnostic though.

5200 is permanent -- don't use it for anything you may need to remove again.

And I agree with jetlink -- it's not time to try out the new prop. It's time for a tune-up. You can buy a rebuild kit for that carb and go through it, clean everything and rebuild it very easily. I'd also replace your cap/rotor (still have points? I'd convert to HEI.) New plugs/wires. Check timing, replace fuel/water filter, etc. Basic maintenance stuff. Shouldn't be hard to get it to jump out of the hole.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.