Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I checked it with a multimeter last weekend and am getting 14.4 volts at the battery while the engine is running. Seems to me everything is fine? This is 5x out this Spring with no power issues other than the light.
    '88 Sunsport, 2250lbs ballast, automated surf system, home made surf exhaust, surf flap, ACME 913, Krypt 6.5 HLCD's, Perfect Pass Stargazer

2007 Centurion Typhoon to be upgraded this winter!

Hi.

Here is my take on the system (i am an automotive electrical design engineer)

I had similar issues with the temp warning on my 94 Comp and this is what i found.

There is an ECU under the instrument area that has various input / outputs. The unit is designed as a differential comparitor, it will measure the inputs vs known values, if the voltage in the battery pack falls below 10V the WL will come on. The usual way of having a warning light wired up is via the diode pack on the alternator feeding 12V to a bulb on the dash, then the alternator is not rotating the 12V is grounded via the diode pack, one side of the bulb has ignition feed and this then passes to ground when the alternator is at rest putting the light on. When the alternator is running the diodes then feed that wire with 12V which then puts the bulb out (12V+ one side via ign switch and 12V+ from the diode pack = 0V hence bulb goes out)
    The supra control module does not work this way, it expects to see a voltage above 11V only, as the battery drains because of no charge from alternator, the light will come on in time to get you back to the trailer or shore. Its not a great system to be honest. Things to check would be
    1/ Check the ign source to the unit is at battery voltage.
    2/ Engine running and voltage increases to 13.5V minimum.
    3/ Check amperage output of alternator by using an ammeter whilst running.

If all is ok then your ECU is kaput. I suspect a dodgy board, if you can get it apart look at the soldering on the board for corrosion and bad connections. Check resistors for the same.

My personal opinion of this unit is it is of poor quality / reliability. But you have to think how old they are now!! so considering that, its not that poor really and i guess Supra really didnt expect to see these boats still being loved as much as we obviously do.

I would rewire the system to a traditional layout (as described above)
    Water temp to a traditional gauge system, ignore the warning lamp
    Fuel the same, fit a transducer that has low fuel warning switch built in if you need a warning lamp
    Oil with gauge and low pressure warning lamp (there are 2 switches on the engine one for gauge the other for warning lamp)

Regards

Andy