Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default trim tab wake plate mounting , ect

HELLO GUYS ,

I am seriously thinking about installing a wake plate . ive seen the manual one that is "supposed" to be on mine but isnt.
    i have been looking at the lenco electric ones but they come with single rams , my questions are:

1. do you think a single ram would be enough ?

2. most id not all are "edge" mounted on a hinge from the back of the transom .. how much should the TAB / wake plate go down ?

3. is having one going to do anything positive for my sunsport other than make me spend money ?

thanks , lively
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

1. Does your transom have the two holes originally used for the multi-sport plate? I'll post pics of mine here in a minute.

2. The permanently fixed one was only supposed to move about 1/4 of an inch if I recall correctly. The surface area of the plate will dictate how much travel/deflection you require.

3. It's a boat, of course you're going to spend money on it.

IMG_2752.jpg
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    1. Does your transom have the two holes originally used for the multi-sport plate? I'll post pics of mine here in a minute.

2. The permanently fixed one was only supposed to move about 1/4 of an inch if I recall correctly. The surface area of the plate will dictate how much travel/deflection you require.

3. It's a boat, of course you're going to spend money on it.

IMG_2752.jpg
    no holes on back of transom they were filled in , the bottom of the hull had the plate screw hole though . i want the electrical or hydro style , but i just wanted to see if anyone has them on the older boats

The only reason for it is to push the bow down and make the wake smaller.
    1987 Supra Saltare
    PCM 454

Quote Originally Posted by leetudor View Post
    The only reason for it is to push the bow down and make the wake smaller.
    Not true.

I'd say it's definitely worth the upgrade. They help plane the boat out when you have lots of weight, they help shape surf/wakeboard/slalom wakes, they help in rough water to control if you want to ride high or stuff the bow in the waves to cut through them, they help eliminate porpoising... totally worth it.

I don't have an old boat, but I can tell you mine has 2 rams on it. When in the "down" position, it doesn't go down at too much of an angle. It is also mounted on a hinge on the transom. These pictures show it in "up" position.

-Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    Not true.

I'd say it's definitely worth the upgrade. They help plane the boat out when you have lots of weight, they help shape surf/wakeboard/slalom wakes, they help in rough water to control if you want to ride high or stuff the bow in the waves to cut through them, they help eliminate porpoising... totally worth it.
    Exactly what I said it would do, Push the bow down and make the wake smaller. His boat has a hook in the hull and is not going to get more bow rise that he has now.
    1987 Supra Saltare
    PCM 454

Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    Not true.

I don't have an old boat, but I can tell you mine has 2 rams on it. When in the "down" position, it doesn't go down at too much of an angle. It is also mounted on a hinge on the transom. These pictures show it in "up" position.

it seems that the tab is fastened to the underside of the hull ? can you tak more pics for me ? closer ?

I wont be at my boat until this weekend, but if I remember I'll try to take more. If your hull has a hook as leetudor said, you likely can't mount that to the bottom. Pretty sure my boat has a groove in the hull that's designed to have the plate attach to it there.
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

Definitely a plus to add one. I don't adjust mine everyday; however, if we are on the lake on a rougher day, I always lower the bow down to cut through the waves. Makes the ride so much better. The only problem with the front down is that with extra people in the bow I have to watch for water over the front. If I raise the front up it increases my wake pretty dramatically. Mine is manual and is not hinged. I think I would love having it automated, but wouldn't spend the money to do that on mine.

This is a back mount instead of a bottom mount.

1987 Supra Saltare
    PCM 454