Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Here is a pic of the front of the engine. image.jpg

It sounds like you've narrowed it to the water pump or alternator. WHen you spin those by hand do you feel any binding?

I took the belt off again and started it up - no noise. Spun the pump and alternator pulleys and did not get any "sounds". The only way I can get the alternator to make a sound is if I switch directions when spinning it (so I do not think that is the issue). Ordered a new belt as there was some wear on the side.

I am wondering if it the correct belt - maybe the previous owner used a car belt - NAPA xl 25-7425 is what is on it.

May be I just need to buy a set of earplugs as this darn thing is frustrating me.

Never heard a belt tick. Problem is either water pump or alternator bearing if it goes away without belt on. With belt off grab each of the pulleys and firmly pull up/push down. If you can feel and slop in them there is your culprit. Kind of like grabbing a tire and rocking it around to feel for bad or loose wheel bearings, tire rods, ball joints, etc. Any slop is a bad bearing.

Change the belt, you dont know how old it is and they are only good for about 4-5 yrs. they get flat spots from sitting over the winter. Could not find what boat you have
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Update - I finally had the time to change the belt. After installing the new belt I ran it in the driveway briefly and the sound was gone....keeping my fingers crossed.

Took the boat out Saturday and ran it all day with the new belt and no noise!!!! First time I have heard of a belt ticking, just glad it is gone!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Belts can tick or squeal when they get old.......easy to diagnose with a bit of soap or belt dressing ....but this is only a temp fix, perm is to replace the belt. Sometimes tightening or loosening will help but its a warning sign so you might as well just replace it
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug