Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rudder adjustment?

Recently purchased a 2007 SSV. Dealer took us out the first time during break-in period and we noticed a pretty serious pull to the left, which got worse at higher speeds. Also noticed that the boat didn't turn as sharply to the right and would bank more severely turning to the right. Took the boat back in to dealer and they made adjustments by grinding down one-side of the back edge of rudder. This adjustment has not corrected the problem. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem and if so is this how it was corrected?

Every boat I have ever driven had some pull to one side or another caused by one of several factors. On the inboard boats it was caused by the off set of the rudder to the right or left of the prop, weight distribution in the boat, bent tracking fins, bent rudder, wind, water current and the occasional lack of attentive driving (me). On the I/Os it was due to some of the same factors above as well as torque steer due to lower unit problems, bent/damaged lower units, and power steering assist problems. The dynamics of water will cause the turn to be more significant as you go faster due to the force being increased on the running gear (including the rudder).

How bad is the pull that you are describing? Is it when you let go of the steering wheel the boat begins to drift left or does is make a left turn? How much effort is required to hold the boat straight?
    H2Oman
    06 24SSV GG

If you release the steering wheel, the boat drifts to the left until it gets to a certain point and then it will actually make a turn. I could live with a little drift, but I am concerned about the lack of handling when turning to the right.

The drift sounds fairly normal considering the offset of the rudder to the prop. Regarding the poor right turn; when traveling at 25 - 30mph and you turn the boat 45 and 90deg. quickly to the right, does it perform the same as when you turn to the left (same speed)?

Regarding the turn and banking, the offset rudder, fixed prop and weight in the boat can affect that as well. I have driven boats by Malibu, MC, Nautique and SC and they all turned better in one direction than the other when turning sharp. Nautique seemed to turn better to the opposite direction of the other boats. Also, when turning to the right the boats seemed to slow down more than when turning to the left. I am sure someone on this board knows technically why inboards do this. Again, what you are describing seems fairly normal with what I have experienced from many different manufactures boats.

What kind of boat did you own prior to this one? I/O, DD?
    H2Oman
    06 24SSV GG

I recently bought an 07 24SSV GG. I am having problems with it pulling to the right. And it pulls hard. If I let go of the wheel it will make a hard right. Dealer is an hour and half away and I can live with it until my 20 hour service. They say it wont harm the boat if I can live with it until then.
    What a boat........

Uhm... thats not normal at all. Now Im in a direct drive, which obviously puts the weight forward & rides the boat flatter in the water but when I let my wheel go it tracks perfectly and stays straight.... Thats the entire point of the tracking fins. Mastercraft recently had a similar problem and actually performed a manufactures recall on the rudder & linkage system & reinstalled a new (different size/shape) rudder on Dad's Mastercraft... instantly correcting the problem. I think you guys should push your dealers to come up with solutions!!

Well, let us know how they solve it.
    H2Oman
    06 24SSV GG

I made the move from an I/O so I'm not real familiar with the handling of an inboard, but the boat handles dramatically worse when turning right. I noticed that the rudder is offset to the right of the prop (view from rear). Is this normal?

The dealer hasn't been a problem yet, but I want to educate myself.

It is normal. You will also find that when in reverse it is not easy to get the boat to move left and it will want to always turn right even when the wheel is turned to go the opposite direction. (Funny-Nautiques go the opposite direction-left.) This is also normal. To get the rudder to work and make the boat travel in the direction you are steering you have to build up speed in reverse and then it will begin to work (kind of). It will not ever perform as your I/O did. Then again your new boat can out perform your I/O in most other areas.

When pulling up to a dock or backing off of the trailer you will get used to it and learn to feather the throttle to get it to move in the direction you want. You have to plan for it as you approach the maneuver you want to make. When docking, it does help that it pulls to the driver’s side; you can easily see the distance and speed to the doc. Practice is the only true way you will get comfortable with it.

Again, I am interested in if your dealer does find a solution to the drift. Let us know.
    H2Oman
    06 24SSV GG

Thanks for the information. The dealer is working with me, but I'll let you know how it turns out.