21 87.50%
  • keep it, re-deck it and enjoy it for a couple years

2 8.33%
  • yank the engine and toss the boat

1 4.17%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New supra owner... 454 and stringer rot... what to do

Hey everyone.

So just picked up this 86 Supra sun sport with the 454, the ODO shows a low 184 hours but its been neglected. I bought it super cheap knowing its got some soft wood issues but knowing the 454 makes it a cool boat.

That i know of its sat uncovered in a field for at least 2 years...

Heres what it looks like right now

heres the inside.... the engine shroud and drivers paneling (the blue) is nasty and will be replaced but all the other white padding is in great shape (was removed before the boat was parked)

the engine runs and sounds great but needs a new carburetor

now for the HORROR pics.... kids avert your eyes...

this is after pealing up the carpet and ripping up some soggy, crumbling, rotted floor board

and it just keeps going...

so the big decision for me now is how far i want to tear down into it for restoration. I looked through some threads on here and i really want to just say screw it and do a cap off gut it job and know that its all good i just don't know if its worth the money and time.

anyways stay tuned for more updates
    1986 Supra sun sport with 454

Hi thepadokc,

Welcome to Supra Forums! It appears this post you made last night was somehow flagged by our automated spam filtering system. I'm sure you may have been wondering why your post didn't show up. I have approved it for you now and I don't think you'll have any further troubles. However, if you do make a post that doesn't show up, feel free to make a post in the help forum or PM one of the moderators for help.

EDIT TO ADD: I also closed the other thread you started since it was a duplicate of this one.
    Last edited by DKJBama92Mariah; 06-01-2015 at 09:34 PM.
    1992 Supra Mariah - Red
    PCM 351HO 285hp - PCM 1.23:1 Transmission
    OJ XMP 4 Blade CNC 13x15.5RH

"People do weird things to boats" -Unknown

How are the motor mount bolts? Do they spin or can you torque them down. If you can i say do a quicky deck and enjoy the boat. If they are loose and in rot then i think you might as well do. A cap off
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

No its bad....

the one of the motor mount bolts i pulled out by hand hahaha. Its gonna need a cap of rest at some point. Just deciding if i wanna slap some fresh deck over it and enjoy it for this season and do it over the winter.

i will take some more pics tomorrow to show just how bad it is.

Any chance you decide to sell any parts of it, I would be interested in the Steering wheel.
    1984 SUPRA ALLEGRO 454 PCM 330 HP
    14H 14L Michigan Prop

yes you need to remove the cap and gut the boat and start over , but if you just want to play for the season go put some composite decking . if the engine mounts are loose and or pulling out i wouldn't risk shearing my 800$ prop shaft not to mention possibly sinking the boat , if your motivated i think you could tackle the stringers and deck now and finish the rest out later
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Quote Originally Posted by thepadokc View Post
    No its bad....

the one of the motor mount bolts i pulled out by hand hahaha. Its gonna need a cap of rest at some point. Just deciding if i wanna slap some fresh deck over it and enjoy it for this season and do it over the winter.

i will take some more pics tomorrow to show just how bad it is.
    nothing like the smell of a cesspool of water sitting under a rotted floor (...in the morning, lol). taking her out with stringers like that is dangerous. Wotan has a story of basically sinking because his engine shifted when his stringers were rotten.

if you want to keep the boat for at least a couple of years take the topcap off. you'll likely come out upside down on resale if you want to sell sooner than later, unless you got it for next to nothing.

forgot to ask...what's up with that distributor cap?
    Last edited by Salty87; 06-02-2015 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty87 View Post
    In two words I'd say: a lot. Looks to be an automotive distributor. Never seen a boat with vacuum advance.
    1992 Supra Mariah - Red

Quote Originally Posted by Salty87 View Post
    if you want to keep the boat for at least a couple of years take the topcap off. you'll likely come out upside down on resale if you want to sell sooner than later, unless you got it for next to nothing.

Well i have no idea what these are worth restored... i have seen prices from 2,000 - 10,000... all things considered yeah i got this boat stupid cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by DKJBama92Mariah View Post
    In two words I'd say: a lot. Looks to be an automotive distributor. Never seen a boat with vacuum advance.
    Yeah im a race car guy so thats a HEI distributor i had laying around. Its a ignition coil and distributor all in one. makes life simple since the ignition coil on this motor was bad.

What do these things sound like with the exhaust baffles out? any reason to leave them in?

Quote Originally Posted by thepadokc View Post
    Yeah im a race car guy so thats a HEI distributor i had laying around. Its a ignition coil and distributor all in one. makes life simple since the ignition coil on this motor was bad.

What do these things sound like with the exhaust baffles out? any reason to leave them in?
    The following parts should never be replaced with automotive equivalents. Use ONLY marine replacement parts:
    -Starters
    -Alternators
    -Distributors
    -Carburetors.

The closed bilge of a boat is much different than a car. If a car drops a little fuel on the pavement, no big deal. If the fuel system spills the least bit of gasoline in the enclosed bilge of a boat, the fumes can create an explosive mixture essentially turning the boat into a fuel-air bomb.

Marine starters, alternators and distributors are different from automotive ones in that they are spark protected with screens in the vents. These screens prevent a flame that starts from a spark inside the unit from propagating outside the unit. This is known as being ignition protected.

Marine carbs are different from auto carbs in two ways: (1) the vent tubes are a J-style to route any bowl overflow, and (2) the throttle blade shafts have special seal to prevent fuel from leaking out the shaft bore.

With the boat torn apart and the engine open to the air, that distributor will do fine just run the engine on the hose. However, it needs to be replaced with a marine unit before you splash the boat.

I'm not trying to preach to you or criticize you. I just wanted to make sure you know.
    1992 Supra Mariah - Red