Default Bought a Supra after selling my Yamaha jet boat... LOVING IT!!! Couple questions...

Ok Supra owners.. I have a few questions about the boats in general since I am new to them after selling my Yamaha jet boat to buy the Supra.
    I owned a 2007 Yamaha AR-210. While it was a really, really good first boat to own and an overall amazing family boat, there were a ton of issues I had with it, none more irritating than the power issue. The Yamaha was only 220 hp, and being a newbie to boat ownership (I had been out boating with friends more times than I can count, but as they say, doing is learning) I allowed the dealer to convince me it would be more power than I would ever need because the boat was so light. While the boat was indeed light, I could not get the boat up on plane if I had more than 6 passengers (its rated for 9). The boat was a nightmare to steer and I spent cash on various gadgets to increase handling and horsepower, none of which really made a difference. The fit and finish on that boat was pretty thin too...

Sold it and picked up a 2008 Supra 22ssv with the 340hp motor. I LOVE this boat. We carry 15 at times and can still yank a wakeboarder out of the water like cake. I just outfitted it with 4 Exile 9" surf speakers on the tower, exile cabin speakers (6) and a 12" vented box in the battery compartment area.
    Im curious to hear how the surf speakers compare with the HLCD's I had on the yamaha. The HLCD's were AWESOME on a wakeboard but we got plenty of nasty looks from other people because the entire lake could hear us jam.. i'm hopeful that the surf speakers will still be audible at 80' but not so overpowering that the people on the other end of the lake start breaking out their moves to our jams...

So here are my complaints, and my questions. Hopefully someone on this forum can help me out.
    The ski lockers- first of all, WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD SUPRA LINE THEM WITH CARPET??? We learned the hard way that the bags have to be removed and completely drained by hand after every trip or those lockers stay damp and guess what grows?? yeah... had a massive mold infestation, and it started growing on the underside of the locker cushions... probably from the previous owner because we only took it out once last year before winterizing it but STILL! So the question is- has anyone done a spray in liner like Rhino-lining in the ski lockers? Being able to spray those lockers out after a ballast bag loses water in there (thinking worst case here) would make total sense... If anyone HAS done this, how difficult is it to get the carpet out and the various panels etc... worth it?

Next question/comment- hate not having snap out carpet. Has anyone torn the cabin carpet out and done sea dek or anything similar? I know when they install that carpet they glue both the boat and the carpet so when the carpet comes out I imagine there would be hella residue all over the deck...

I am having a really tough time dialing in the surf wake. I dont have any diy surf gates etc on the boat and have the factory swim platform which cuts into the wake. Have the owners that have bought the trapezoid swim platforms noticed a difference enough to justify the $1000-ish cost? I run a 500lb bag in one locker, an 1100 lb bag in the other, and I have a 750 lb center bag. I know it varies based on the weight in the boat etc but can someone give me a general idea of what their settings are for ballast for surfing??

I noticed that when I turn the boat in tight turns the prop cavitates. Is this true of everyone elses boat or do I need to look at a different pitch?

BTW I am running the new exile bluetooth EQ and absolutely love it. Love being able to control music from the driver's seat.
    Headed to Lake Powell tomorrow... I feel for you guys who have never been... truly spiritual... I'll post pics of the boat and the trip as soon as I get back.
    In the mean time, anyone with some answers for me would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Running214 View Post
    I noticed that when I turn the boat in tight turns the prop cavitates. Is this true of everyone elses boat or do I need to look at a different pitch?
    Stop power turning and you will solve your problem and save a bunch of money at the same time.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Let's see some pics!
    2002 Supra Launch 22SSV
    ACME 1433 Prop
    Ghetto Gate

I replaced my carpet with Hydroturf and love it. drys quick and is confortable and easy to clean and looks better. Lots of work, but worth it. There's lots of threads from a lot of us that have done this on the Moomba forum.
    http://www.moomba.com/msgboard/showt...ight=hydroturf

I replaced my swim platform on both my Supra and Moomba because they were too big on the corners and would cut into the wake. The one on my supra was just a prototype and we made it out of wood and coated it with sealant. The one on my Moomba is made of HDPE and it's easy to work with and will last forever. I used 3/4" HDPE because it's less expensive. I get some flex, but I think it'll manage fine. Others have used 1". Again, a handful of threads about this on the Moomba forum.

How the speakers compare will of course depend on which HLCD speakers you were running and what size they were. I compared my HLCD's against my friend's "surf speakers" and we had similar output but his did sound a little nicer in SQ. But I have fewer and mine are about the same loudness. I guess you'll be the only one that will be able to tell us the results. That said, by all means look into a Fresh Air Exhaust. it's the best "stereo upgrade" you can get. they quiet the boat down so much it's like doubling your stereo.

My boat is a 23'. I've found that my optimal setup is:
    1. 1100 bag full in the surfside locker
    2. 1100 bag about 1/2 full in the non-surf side locker
    3. 1180 bag full under playpen
    4. 400 bag under surfside seats
    5. sometimes I add about another 250 under the bow surfside seat

The bow sack is something I'm playing with. If I have two or more good sized adults on the surfside, I can be fine w/o the additional bow sack. If not, the wave's not as clean.

For me the missing piece of the puzzle was adding that non-surfside rear weight to get the additional push. But then it takes more mid to front weight to clean it up once you do that. And yes, the lip of the platforms rob you of push.

I agree, a zone controller for the music is a MUST HAVE. I've had both the Exile and the WS. I like the WS because it has separate EQ's for the towers vs the cabins, because it has the microphone to tell at idiots around you in the no wake zone, and because it has the Aux output to link up more than one boat stereo together. It was fantastic to be able to link my boat with my friend's when we were tied up and to have our systems both playing the same source. But the Exile's a nice unit too, it just didn't have those features I'd gotten used to.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.