Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

you could use 3/8 and double it up around the edges... In general under about 1/2 inch HDPE is pretty bendy.

Blows me away how much those seat bases have rotted the last several years. If you ended up going with wood, coat the wood in CPES. I like your idea of non-wood material, though.

Ordered 1/2 HDPE to re-do the seat bases. Should have it picked up from Grainger on Monday and tear into this project on Tuesday, if I don't go ride on my buddies Tige ASR that is..... : )

This is a spendy repair, about $235 for just the sheets alone, then still need some TREX for structural pieces (might just double up some of the sheets around edges if I have enough) and staples. And that's assuming the foam is still all good and not glued down so hard I tear it all up getting it off the old seat backs. I'll post some pics of the rebuild.

In the meantime, riding without the seat backs in the front. Gotta get to bed, 7AM on the lake tomorrow.

Haha...spendy

I just shelled out $4000 on a re-trim :O

I found a website in France where they sell scrap HDPE and every kind of plastic sheet.
    Maybe you can find and equivalent company in the USA ?

Here is the link : http://chutes-plastiques.com/plastiq...laques/29-pehd

Dimensions are in "largeur" and "longueur" columns, they are in millimeters.
    Thickness is in column "Epaisseur", it's still millimeters.
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

I plan to ride some this week, will just have to go without the seat backs in the front. Only issue is I'll have to re-mount my amp to the wall which will be some wasted effort, but shouldn't be too bad now that I know how everything goes together/comes apart. That was about 1/2 the time spent last night was finding all the bolts/screws. Lots of custom work done on this boat by the previous owner.

I work part time for a company called Cover Girl . She does vinyl and canvas boat repairs. I do all the rotted wood repairs so she can cover them. I have found that by the time I get a rotted wood issue the boat is 20 plus years old . The wood they use is nothing special sometimes I think they cut up the old parts crates to make interior parts. That being said I recommend a marine grade plywood or MDO grade plywood with a healthy coat of CPES from Rot Doctor . If the old untreated wood lasted 20 plus years the new treated wood will last 30 plus years. I think that will outlast the vinyl if not the whole boat. A good location foe materials is https://keystonbros.com
    I have done many of the newer boats with PVC or other plastic seat bases wile they don't rot they do crack and are difficult to join and seam.