Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 1990 Supra Comp TS6m - first boat!

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Put a deposit down on a 1990 Supra Comp TS6m. This will be my first boat. Boat looks to be solid. Going back for a second look this morning. Single owner. 570 hrs. Kept on a lift in a covered boathouse as the story goes. Dealer took it on trade last fall. They serviced it and winterized it. Straightened and or rebalanced the prop shaft through one of their vendor/partners. They seem to concentrate on much bigger boats what I would call higher end cruisers. So this boat is kind of an odd duck for them.

Anyhow I've been reading up on Comps here. Great info on what to look for when buying used: soft spots in fooring/stringers/engine mount/stress cracks/transom... I'll be taking a closer look for all of these potential issues this morning.

Hull and everything on the exterior looks solid. Mostly concerned about floor and stringers. Hopefully they won't be soft! Not sure I'm up for replacing/doing work like this.

In general do you guys think this is a good choice for my family we have 2 boys 13 and 15 with skiing and wake boarding in their noggins! They're avid snowboarders. I understand this is a ski boat and other models are better for wake boarding but this is in the price range. 5k

Hoping to get a few opinions. Sry for the length of th post!
    Last edited by Suprafan!; 06-23-2015 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Adding photo

Ha, that boat is right around the corner from me and behind my old shop I used to have. I have found the Comp to be a great entry level watersports boat, the only thing I haven't tried with mine is surfing and I never will try with my boat. I have gotten a decent wakeboarding wake behind it, same for wake skating but it is really best at skiing wakes.

Check the stringers for rot, take it for a water run and shake it down good. Rudder should be super easy to turn by hand, like 2 fingers at speed. Listen for any weird noises that you might not be familiar with.

I'd try and knock some more off the price for the torn interior too...
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

If your in IL this would be a nice one to check out. Around the same price $6000 unless you got them down from the $5995 they were asking. Plus tax if its a dealer. Has a tower and a nicer interior. You would still have to check for soft spots. You said you put deposit down already though. http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/boa/5084929032.html
    Chauncey 2000 Malibu Response LX Monsoon 325

An outfit like that should be aware of moisture meter testing. Cruisers are also susceptible to water intrusion. I've never used one but they probably have.

$5k budget is a tough one. 80s and early 90s Supras weren't built to last forever. It's the rare one that doesn't have wet foam. Spending a few k more on a rebuilt one, if any are around, would be worth looking looking into. As to a Comp, it'll be pretty crowded with you and your kids + boards if there's no tower. Kids normally want to bring friends, too.

I think I ended up talking him out of this particular boat. The marina wouldn't even let him test drive it. "We'll fire it up on the trailer but no test drives." is what they told him. That's pretty shady if you ask me, who buys a car/motorcycle/boat or anything else for that matter without taking it for a spin?

No water test???? THAT INSANE!!! Good to know that about that dealer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    I think I ended up talking him out of this particular boat. The marina wouldn't even let him test drive it. "We'll fire it up on the trailer but no test drives." is what they told him. That's pretty shady if you ask me, who buys a car/motorcycle/boat or anything else for that matter without taking it for a spin?
    -cjtpilot...........1992 Supra Comp Ts6m..........351 PCM
    Big Air tower
    Radar Theory Slalom, Fulltilt wakeboard, barefoot.

Hey guys, thanks for all the great input! Yes, Jetlink confirmed my suspicions and I told the dealer this was more of a project than I was willing to take on. Though from what you guys have shared here it looks like a cool thing to tackle!

Basically, it looks like the boat was really well cared for but they hit something hard enough to bend the prop shaft and pop the left glass seam on the interior of the shaft mount. Hope this makes sense. My thought, this kind of repair is probably a tough one even for a pro.

Foxriverat thanks for the lead!!! I'm going to look into this one!

There are a few comps for sale in area. This one peeks my interest; maybe I'm biased with the color combo. '92 Comp http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/boa/5088739083.html
    '92 Mariah
    Kwahamot

Quote Originally Posted by BigCity444 View Post
    There are a few comps for sale in area. This one peeks my interest; maybe I'm biased with the color combo. '92 Comp http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/boa/5088739083.html
    It takes a very confident man to "rock" a pink boat.

Ha! Yeah, told my boys I wasn't sure I could get used to that! Figured that would be on the short list of things to address. Or I was thinking I could get a white sport coat push the sleeves up and get some vintage Vaurnet's & rock the Miami Vice.