Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

atlont i have used cypress for some projects it a oily wood i would do a test to see how the glass binds to it if it does that is some serious rot resistant wood

and 3/4 ply is $66.99 a sheet 1/2 is 48.00
    1986 TSM6
    1987 SALTERA

With the wood being kiln dried it should not be oily correct?

How many sheets do you think I'd use for the stringers alone just so I can get a estimate to compare to the cypress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Made a little more progress the past couple nights. I'm trying to dedicate at least 1.5 hrs a day to the project.

The real workhorses of the project. I'm just there to assist.

If anyone is looking for a large shop vac I highly recommend this ridged! It has been a amazing machine.

I'm having a lot of trouble getting the foam out. The foam is almost like new, this job has been done before but really really crappy. Id probably have all the floor up if it wasn't for this foam. The wet saturated foam is coming out really easy it's the dry foam that's a PITA. I'm almost considering filling the hull up with water and letting the foam soak up water to get it out easier.

Quote Originally Posted by atlong View Post
    . I'm almost considering filling the hull up with water and letting the foam soak up water to get it out easier.
    If it was refoamed, its probably closed cell foam. Water absorption on the newer foam is pretty low...like 5% so I wouldn't waste any time doing that. I bought a tool from Lowes. I'm not sure what its called but it was cross between a shovel (because of the handle) and a chisel (because the thick piece of flat sharp metal on the end). It allowed me to hack at it at an angle and shave the foam from the hull. It was a huge time saver. I want to say it was under $30. Good luck man! This thread is bringing back memories. =)

I'll defiantly be stoping by lowes to find one of those. It's funny you say that because as I'm using my trench shovel and chisel to try and get this stuff out, I was thinking to myself if I could combine these two I'd be set Haha. I should get a little more done this evening and on Sunday, because tomorrow is a round of golf and college football day!

A grinder with a wire brush on it will turn that foam into a dust you can vacuum up with a shopvac. It's super quick and virtually no physical labor. Just wear a mask so you don't breath it.

Quote Originally Posted by Supranewbee View Post
    A grinder with a wire brush on it will turn that foam into a dust you can vacuum up with a shopvac. It's super quick and virtually no physical labor. Just wear a mask so you don't breath it.

Yeah I actually thought about that too, I can get a flat wire or cup brush from work. You don't think I'll run into problems eating the hull up do you?

I used the cup style on my grinder right down to the hull. No problems.

Ok good deal, I'll have to give that a try

Buy one of these and go to town. It went through the wet foam and what very little "dry" foam there was in my boat like a hot knife through butter.

http://www.harborfreight.com/oscilla...ool-62279.html
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski