Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default '88 Supra "TREXGate" install

After seeing the various homebrew ghetto gates and having done a lot of testing of my own last year, I decided to bite the bullet and make a permanent gate of my own on both sides. The initial idea was to use a turnbuckle for deployment and retraction, but I scrapped that after it would bind upon retraction, and it also wouldn't retract far enough to not affect the wakeboard wake when stowed. After a lot of testing, tons of trips to the hardware store to try different deployment methods, I finally have settled on this configuration.
    image1.jpg
    image2.jpg
    image12.jpg

I took off my OEM platform and sold it to a member here, which covered most of the cost of making this setup. If I had to do it again, I could probably make the platform and gates shown, including all hardware, for around $200. The system mounts to the hull with stainless hardware, sealed with 3M 4200. Four pieces of Trex composite decking were around $17/each and are enough to make both gates and a new swim platform.
    image6.jpg
    image7.jpg
    Last edited by jtryon; 07-01-2015 at 10:34 AM.
    '88 Sunsport, 2250lbs ballast, automated surf system, home made surf exhaust, surf flap, ACME 913, Krypt 6.5 HLCD's, Perfect Pass Stargazer

2007 Centurion Typhoon to be upgraded this winter!

For deployment, I used old crutches (only installed on the starboard side in these pictures), mounted on each end with swivel casters.
    image3.jpg
    image4.jpg
    image5.jpg

It seems to work exactly as I wanted when compared to the old way I had been deploying and stowing them, with no binding. The crutch end locks in place when the gate is at the desired angle, and by squeezing the button on them it rotates and locks in place when stowed as well. I also installed a locking hook to hold it in place when stowed, which has worked flawlessly.

I had to trim the edge of the platform and platform mounts so that the gate doesn't cut into the wakeboard wake. During the first round of testing, it didn't necessarily interfere, but I could faintly see that the gate was dragging causing a little trail of water at higher speeds. This is completely gone now after trimming.
    image6.jpg
    image9.jpg

In that last picture you can see the first method of stowing/deployment, which included custom-ordered reverse thread nuts on the reverse thread end of the turnbuckle that was permanently installed. As stated before, this wouldn't allow the gate to be stowed in far enough, so I had to scrap that idea. It also was a PITA when having to install and remove for surfing.
    '88 Sunsport, 2250lbs ballast, automated surf system, home made surf exhaust, surf flap, ACME 913, Krypt 6.5 HLCD's, Perfect Pass Stargazer

Initially, each piece of Trex was only being held on with 4-6 bolts depending on where it lay on the OEM mounts. Because the OEM platform was a solid piece, this wasn't an issue. I noticed however that the end piece especially was a little flimsy being only held on by 5 screws total, so I bought additional screws and a countersink. Now it has 8 screws holding it in place and it much stronger. Also to note, I got some 1/8" x 2" aluminum for the backside of the gates, which seems to hold everything just fine. There may be prettier ways to do that, but it's functional so I'm happy. Once it's all perfected after a couple more trips out, I may do some polished stainless strips to make it look better.
    image11.jpg
    image13.jpg

Let me know your thoughts! If anyone's interested in doing this yourself, let me know and I'd be glad to put together a list of the stuff you'll need to save you some of the hassle and trips to the store.
    Last edited by jtryon; 07-01-2015 at 01:26 PM.

wave pics with ~1200lbs surf side +1 passenger, ~600lbs non-surf side with driver, and 650lbs up front. forgot to take some of just the wake alone, it's too enjoyable to surf
    IMG_5363.jpg
    IMG_5330.jpg
    IMG_5331.jpg
    IMG_5419.jpg

Nice. one of the better implementations I've seen. The crutch is brilliant. I'd been thinking about some way to do that with bimini hardware or something but the crutch is dead on.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

thanks trayson. after 4 days of testing it's held up perfectly, which is what i was worried about. takes 5 seconds to deploy and retract, versus the 2-3 minutes i was spending before with the turnbuckle. i'm going to trim the bottom of both gates at an upward (away from the boat) angle due to a little wake interference at surf speeds from the stowed gate. i may upgrade the swivel casters to a sealed unit of the same size since i know they work now, but those are the only changes needed.

The mounting mechanism is awesome for your crutch. You could probably pull off a trim actuator instead of the crutch using the same or similar mounting bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by pridekit View Post
    The mounting mechanism is awesome for your crutch. You could probably pull off a trim actuator instead of the crutch using the same or similar mounting bracket.
    that's the idea, but may not be until next season. there are a couple different controllers out there right now but they're a little more than i want to spend to get the whole thing automated, so i may make that my Spring 2016 B.O.A.T. purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoult36 View Post
    Good point
    Quote Originally Posted by Cligh1950 View Post
    I agree with that.
    spammers

Quote Originally Posted by jtryon View Post
    spammers
    Where? I don't see any...
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski