Thread: 89 TS6M Comp

Default 89 TS6M Comp

I have had this boat since 04/1990 and I am getting indications that I might need a re-stringer project. It is floating a bit lower on one side. Any repairs I have made to my boat, I have always tried to make it better than factory. So have any of my Supra brothers used exotic wood or composite for stringers? I replaced the lower motor box with "purple heart". It is an excellent marine wood and it matched the carpet better than teak. No one will see what ever I wrap in glass below the deck so the idea is to do this once and have the strongest and most durable structure. I am only at the research stage and this will be a big project for me. Then again I might hire a pro to do the glass work. I want to gather all the info I can so thanks for sharing. I plan to post photos and Gopro video. Cheers

Default All Composite Stringers and Floors

Quote Originally Posted by theLloyd View Post
    So have any of my Supra brothers used exotic wood or composite for stringers?
    I used Nidacore for my 2 main longitudinals (except for the engine mount area...I used 30lb foam). It was wrapped in 3 oz of csm and 3610. My cross members were done using preformed beams (2lb foam wrapped in 2400). Those were also glassed in using 3610. For my floors I used Airex T90 is a 3/4" foam which I sandwiched it with csm and 1708 on each side. What I used was an overkill, but it will never have to be redone.

What did you do for fasteners going into the floor or the stringers? (ie motor mounts and seat pedestals)

Quote Originally Posted by chris young View Post
    What did you do for fasteners going into the floor or the stringers? (ie motor mounts and seat pedestals)
    On the tops of the stringers. I embedded trevira (which is the blue felt like material in my restoration thread) with a layer of glass on top of that. This allowed the glass to receive and hold stainless steel screws from the top floor. Floors were also glassed to the hull sides and down the engine bay from front to back. I used the same treatment to the backside of the floor where the seat is located and where the seats and closeout cleats are secured to the floor. The engine bay area and mounts were done in high density 30lb tooling board by General plastics and the fwd 1/2" offsets were done using aquaplast....all glassed in.