Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: loud engine

Default loud engine

I have a "new" 1991 Comp - had an American Skier last year. The Comp seems louder than it should, quite a bit louder than the Skier. It runs very well, so I don't think there is any kind of gasket leak.

I am thinking of two possible approaches - insulating the engine cover, and (possibly) investing in better mufflers. The mufflers seem to be new, but probably cheap. I am brand new to the site, and I did look around for this topic but found nothing. So, I would greatly appreciate any opinions and/or experiences from anyone.

By my own personal experience an older comp with 500 plus hours runs loud via the mufflers.
    Is this what you are hearing or is it another engine noise altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by crystal waters View Post
    By my own personal experience an older comp with 500 plus hours runs loud via the mufflers.
    Is this what you are hearing or is it another engine noise altogether.
    Hard to say for sure - I am pretty sure the mufflers are new, or nearly new, but I am wondering if they are cheap ones. Also, the underside of the engine hood does not seem to have any insulation. The engine does NOT seem to have any operating problems - it runs well.

Do you have any experience changing out mufflers for better (quieter) ones? Maybe that is the question I should be asking.

The past supra and my current 89 conbrio were / are well insulated under the hood of the doghouse.
    If you have none , sounds to me like someone removed the inside insulation. Should be an easy fix however and i woukd recommend it.
    Have no experience changing mufflers but certain you can find some posts on here re same using the search box at top right of this page.

Add a fresh air exhaust.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

is it exhaust noise , or engine noise, does it get appreciably worse when you lift the cover a bit?
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by docdrs View Post
    is it exhaust noise , or engine noise, does it get appreciably worse when you lift the cover a bit?
    Excellent thought - I will do that if it ever stops raining. I am pretty sure it is engine noise - it's constant.

My '91 is loud at the exhaust but quiet inside even at full throttle. Mine has two rubber mufflers that attach between the steel pipes and exhaust ports at the transom. I only found them because I'm doing stringer replacement. If yours is a '91 also and have a 351w then you probably have the same mufflers I have. If so, The only way to access them is to pull up part of the floor at rear of boat. I'd sure try insulating your dog house first. BTW, my previous boat---1986comp was much louder than my conbrio. Hope it helps
    Last edited by mlaosa; 06-29-2015 at 09:22 PM.
    1991 supra conbrio

My exhaust was so loud you couldn't talk at speed. Put on the FAE and all I hear is the side spray and the water pump witha slight engine hum. My point is there is no way your engine noise is louder than you exhaust in these boats when stock. You can insulate the dog house but then you will hear the exhaust
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Id take the exhaust sound anyday! That's part of a comp ski boat.
    1991 supra conbrio