Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

I like the way she purred. What are you doing to break it in? You went roller cam right? If so, you don't need to worry about adding zinc, but you should still work it through all rpms and multiple oil changes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Kevin

1993 Supra Sunsport
    5.8 351 HO PCM @ 285hp / PCM (40 A) 1.23:1
    Acme 422 Propeller 4 Blade 12.5 X 15.5 RH 1" Bore .105 cup
    Ballast: (2) 540 lb and (2) 350 lb Straight Line Launch Pad
    Wakeboard: CWB Absolute w/ Faction bindings / Surfboards: Hyperlite Coex & Broadcast

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability." ~John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by kvand347 View Post
    I like the way she purred. What are you doing to break it in? You went roller cam right? If so, you don't need to worry about adding zinc, but you should still work it through all rpms and multiple oil changes.

Yes , valve train comp cams says to bring it all up to operating temp and then back down to ambient temp . The roller cam only needs oil and the I'm running 5w30 conventional oil from oriellys , it's good clean oil and I'll change it after the first 5 hours to see what's going on through a coffee filter . I'm gonna break it in under power loads , my opinion the piston rings are worn in under loaded conditions and the compression is what sends the rings outward to seal things up for a reliable engine . Since I have full roller rockers I may have to adjust lash but this is my first roller build and I've dialed everything in from springs to valves , compression ratio , porting . So she should run in pretty well .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Got the rudder back , and I did a little bilge maintenance ! Lol should look nice and neat in there .

Sounds right to me. Those 5 hours will seem like 100! Once broken in, are you switching to synthetic?

Kevin

1993 Supra Sunsport
    5.8 351 HO PCM @ 285hp / PCM (40 A) 1.23:1
    Acme 422 Propeller 4 Blade 12.5 X 15.5 RH 1" Bore .105 cup
    Ballast: (2) 540 lb and (2) 350 lb Straight Line Launch Pad
    Wakeboard: CWB Absolute w/ Faction bindings / Surfboards: Hyperlite Coex & Broadcast

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability." ~John Wooden

Wow that's a beautiful motor!

'92 Comp ts6m - 5.8 PCM Pro Boss Carb
    '02 Launch SS - 5.7 Indmar Assualt TBI

Quote Originally Posted by kvand347 View Post
    Sounds right to me. Those 5 hours will seem like 100! Once broken in, are you switching to synthetic?

Idk yet , I'm kinda on the fence , trying to decide on possibly using amsoil or royal purple . But there's still time to decide . Just need to read some reviews ect

Quote Originally Posted by Zkdk3000 View Post
    Wow that's a beautiful motor!

Thanks man ! She's got a lot in her but I'm loving every minute

That really sets the bar, man. Nice job. Better than new in all the right ways.

Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by SquamInboards View Post
    That really sets the bar, man. Nice job. Better than new in all the right ways.

Well done.
    Thanks man ! Once I started the tear down the old engine I decided that I really wanted something that was reliable but also gave that musclecar vintage feel, I spent about 5k including the shaft prop and engine . But I'm happy with it

That's perfect. I spent $2,500 just at the machine shop rebuilding my GT-40. People spend $5k all the time just getting a worn-out engine back to factory spec! And a crate motor would have been more money with less satisfaction, for sure.