Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lively View Post

I have some honey do's to finish with the house and then I'm gonna get the boat out from shed and pull the engine and drive . Look for updates
    Uhh, you're not giving us a lot of hope that this is happening soon!

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Quote Originally Posted by TitanTn View Post
    Uhh, you're not giving us a lot of hope that this is happening soon!
    Lol happy wife happy life ! , i'm really working on finding a reparable machine shop that can do a quality work for my short blog or just do all the machine work and I will install the parts , and I just replaced all the facia on my house and I gotta paint it before the winter .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

This is my current engine , and the shaft log to dog house alignment is shown in two pictures , I measured looking down at shaft log and I'm 11" from left stringer to center and from right stringer I'm 10" . So 1" difference . My question is I need about a 1/4" of movement to be true from strut to shaft log , can I get that from strut and then align by feel or is there a easier way ?? Thanks gents

I don't think there's any alignment-ability in the strut (unless it's bent). The strut should put the shaft roughly in the middle of the shaft log and then you align the engine to match. Note: You'll need to support the shaft vertically while doing the engine alignment so it stays in the middle on the shaft log.

1986 Saltare

Ok , so no resistance to keep the shaft center ? It should just rest in the center of shaft log ? Problem is my engine is out of side to side adjustment because of the 1" difference when I laid the stringers . "My fault" . So while I have it out I'm gonna do some glass work to the stringers to make the adjustment .

It needs to be roughly in the center, but it doesn't have to be exact. It's more important to check the shaft in neutral alignment with the strut. If the shaft is in alignment with the strut, and not touching the side of the shaft log, and you can align the engine to the shaft, then you're golden.

1986 Saltare

Quote Originally Posted by TitanTn View Post
    It needs to be roughly in the center, but it doesn't have to be exact. It's more important to check the shaft in neutral alignment with the strut. If the shaft is in alignment with the strut, and not touching the side of the shaft log, and you can align the engine to the shaft, then you're golden.
    Cool that's what I thought , I'm gonna do that , I'll be pulling it out soon . I'll start the feed then

There is room to move the strut itself (a bit). I did mine for the same reason. I pulled all the bolts and dropped the strut so I could clean the old sealant of out and then re-installed the strut with new sealant with it aligned as best I could to the centre of the shaft log. The holes are a little oversized so you can get I tiny bit of movement. Mine wasn't perfect when it was done, but it did move a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by chris young View Post
    There is room to move the strut itself (a bit). I did mine for the same reason. I pulled all the bolts and dropped the strut so I could clean the old sealant of out and then re-installed the strut with new sealant with it aligned as best I could to the centre of the shaft log. The holes are a little oversized so you can get I tiny bit of movement. Mine wasn't perfect when it was done, but it did move a bit.
    When you aligned strut to shaft log did you align so the shaft is center or did you have to pick the shaft and put it in center ? Cause if I put mine in center of shaft log now I don t really feel side tension from strut but I wish there was a way to know exact center .