Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Looking good so far. Is that the right size oil pan? It may be completely different on your boat, but with my 454 and Saltare, I only have about 1/4 inch clearance under the oil pan.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Quote Originally Posted by TitanTn View Post
    Looking good so far. Is that the right size oil pan? It may be completely different on your boat, but with my 454 and Saltare, I only have about 1/4 inch clearance under the oil pan.
    I'm glad you pointed that out . Rear sump may not work , lol wow . The original is middle sump , so I'll look at my pictures and see .

Lol thanks man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Titan ! Dude thanks for the heads up on that , I found some pics in my old album and you are correct ! Lol what fun that would be to stick the engine in later to find out the pan was to tall . I owe you a beer sir .

I have been at that old pan all morning with DA and wire wheel . Just got first coat laid and then I'll be on to the 2nd and final .

Should have known better oh well
    . I won't be pushed down when I got the right tools !

No problem - glad to help. That's why we have these forums, so people can share and learn. Because of your pics and thread, someone later will learn a lot about engine rebuilding and will also be reminded to consider the oil pan depth. Looking forward to seeing the final build.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

I'd be sure you're also taking the time to source and install a remote oil drain.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    I'd be sure you're also taking the time to source and install a remote oil drain.
    You bet , I had one in this pan , so I'll just add a new hose and stop

Getting the pulley alignment straight , cleaned out the roll cart finally and got that silly oil pan buttoned up .

Waiting on my valve guide arbor and seat cutter to arrive so I can finally put the heads to rest , I have to machine down the valve guide bosses to fit for comps dual springs . My local machine shop didn't have the .560 cutter I was needing . So I just looked up comp and they had the right cutter and all arbor ! Imagine that ! Lol they should just sell it with the kit . Would make it a whole lot easier .

But , I have got all the shaft , PSS , coupler , new hoses , acme 541 to finish it out . I bet this power plant should really change things up for this old boat . But I'm really just ready to drink a beer and feel some sand with the kids !

Looking really good.... won't be long now!!

Got the new cutlass bearings in and re aligned the strut to shaft log . I used a 1" hose and split it to center the shaft into the shaft log while tightening it up . I used 3 washers as shims in the back to tilt it up . But later found that the shaft wanted a little movement to rest and not tighten up if the engine were to settle down in the mounts .

The hose trick really worked great and the new shaft lined up perfect !

Heads are still not ready , had to buy a height micrometer to set valve spring height , I was using calipers and it was making my second guess my work .

I also bought DUI dizzy from performance distributors and some live wires , but comp cams dizzy gear they sent us wrong so waiting on mail now . But man I'm so ready to hear this thing !