Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Surfing Speed

Last month we dinged the factory prop...the original OJ 13X15.5. The local dealer recommended an OJ 14.25 X 14. Yesterday we finally had the full 3000# of ballast in all the sacks for the first time (2005 24SSV 325 Indmar). With the old prop this amount felt sluggish, and surfing was about 3500rpm. With the new prop the weight is no longer noticeable, and the RPM at surf speed is just 3000RPM. After we emptied the sacks I wanted to see what the top end is...just over 40mph. So, this newer model OJ is much more usable at surf weights, and only took about 5mph out of the top end.

CJD do you surf with all the bags full? I just added 1100 lb sacs in the rear to get more into surfing, however have not tried filling all the sacs at once. Just curious if that was how you were running for surfing.
    2006 24SSV 8.1 Vortec

CJD What kind and size board are you surfing with? I finally got out yesterday for my first real surf session this year (all my friends have gotten married and now have new borns, so i had to find some new surf buddies for a while). I had about 1500lbs of ballast, not much but just enough to keep me on top of the wave. i started out on my liquid fish 5'6, and had to work really hard to stay in the sweet spot. I switched it up to my ronix 4'10 freestyle board and was surprised how effortless it was to stay in the sweet spot with the shorter, wider board. im 6ft and 195lbs...

oh yeah... i find the best surf speed for my sunsport is about 11mph.
    Last edited by Moor; 07-31-2015 at 04:04 PM.
    1988 Supra Sun Sport 454 PCM
    1972 Olds Cutlass 455
    1998 BMW 750il
    1996 BMW M3 coupe
    1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

My boat came with the factory ballast of 750 per side, and 1100 front. Our first board was on the small side.

I figured I was too fat (185lbs) for the small board, so I went to our local supra dealer and got the young wake board dudes there to pick one out for me. They picked a board for me, but insisted that wasn't my problem. Of course, they were right...I was just trying to keep up with the boat When it was going to fast. I still do better with the larger board (I'll need to check the brand to be sure).

I finally got an 1100# bag on the surf side. We had all the bags full the other day because my son mis-heard and filled the wrong side. I figured, "what the heck...let's give it a try.". So we tried it with 1100 surf side, 750 non surf, 1100 forward, and at least 50 in the bilge. The wake was impressive...like chest high impressive with all bags and the wake plate full nose up. With all bags full you have to do a slight turn towards the surf side to get the curl to start, but after that it's a tremendous wake.

The 24ssv takes a lot of water to list. The 1100 bag will only lean it about 4 inches. But a little list is all it takes to get the curl going.

Quote Originally Posted by CJD View Post
    Last month we dinged the factory prop...the original OJ 13X15.5. The local dealer recommended an OJ 14.25 X 14. Yesterday we finally had the full 3000# of ballast in all the sacks for the first time (2005 24SSV 325 Indmar). With the old prop this amount felt sluggish, and surfing was about 3500rpm. With the new prop the weight is no longer noticeable, and the RPM at surf speed is just 3000RPM. After we emptied the sacks I wanted to see what the top end is...just over 40mph. So, this newer model OJ is much more usable at surf weights, and only took about 5mph out of the top end.
    Had time to work with this new OJ prop. This newer design 14.25/14 is superior in every way to the original. The engine never loads coming out of the hole. All the heavy stuff we do (surfing with full bags and pulling 8 on triple tubes) that used to take 3500 RPM with the engine laboring, now only takes 2800 RPM and the engine sounds free. This "feel" is verified with much better fuel economy while pulling the heavy loads.

Prop design has really improved in the last decade. Anyone surfing with old props, I highly recommend a newer generation prop for your "list"!

Props are huge. I surf at about 2650-2700 RPMs. Prior to my prop I was at 3000-3100 with the same load. Boat hardly works to pop up out of the hole full of ballast and people to surf. Getting to wakeboard speeds takes a little more time, but still HUGE improvement over the stock prop I had.
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V