Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Surfing Speed

Well, let me take a wag. I assume the bottom wake plates tilt the boat, acting like ballast. It would seem that would take longer for the curl to develop, since you have to get up to speed for the plate to have affect?

The side plates act by yawing the boat off center?

Has anybody gotten experience with both systems to explain pros/cons to each?

Quote Originally Posted by CJD View Post
    Well, let me take a wag. I assume the bottom wake plates tilt the boat, acting like ballast. It would seem that would take longer for the curl to develop, since you have to get up to speed for the plate to have affect?

The side plates act by yawing the boat off center?

Has anybody gotten experience with both systems to explain pros/cons to each?
    Last summer I made a DIY "wake gate" out of plastic which attaches to the Port side swim step/bracket. It did improve my wave significantly in terms of lengthening the wake, as well as cleanness of the wake. It did however kind of act like a rudder in the sense it would make the boat "kick out" or want to turn to the left a bit, not unbearable but definitely noticeable when underway with the gate deployed.

I have thought about adding a couple Lenco trim tabs much like HD2500 did, and think adding them to the port/starboard transom, would serve several purposes, one being to delay the convergence and creating a better wake, and I would also think instead of acting like a rudder, being on the deployed off the transom downward, they would cause the boat to list which would make the wake larger, longer, and cleaner, and not effect the forward travel of the boat as opposed to the kind deployed off the side, physics says so!

Quote Originally Posted by devovino View Post
    Last summer I made a DIY "wake gate" out of plastic which attaches to the Port side swim step/bracket. It did improve my wave significantly in terms of lengthening the wake, as well as cleanness of the wake. It did however kind of act like a rudder in the sense it would make the boat "kick out" or want to turn to the left a bit, not unbearable but definitely noticeable when underway with the gate deployed.

I have thought about adding a couple Lenco trim tabs much like HD2500 did, and think adding them to the port/starboard transom, would serve several purposes, one being to delay the convergence and creating a better wake, and I would also think instead of acting like a rudder, being on the deployed off the transom downward, they would cause the boat to list which would make the wake larger, longer, and cleaner, and not effect the forward travel of the boat as opposed to the kind deployed off the side, physics says so!
    Devovino hit the nail on the head. The tabs do both, they create a very slight yaw but it doesn't effect your turning ability really. They also create list. One of the strange things i have noticed is sometimes with heavier weight the wave actually becomes better when turning away from the rider.
    It also seems like the tabs are better on fuel consumption but i have no hourly consumption rates to prove it.
    Function before fashion!

Some good info and some not to my experience. My gates do not create yawn when at speed. I can actually push mine out by hand @ Surf speeds. All it does is divert a minimal amount a water causing it to travel farther causing the delay. @ idle I can tell it is out but I track straight the only change is trying to turn sharp to the gate side..

Advantages of the gates is they are cheap, removable and do not cause instalation damage /holes when r&ding. The tabs are effective and once you install them they are installed with little room for modification.

I believe changes to fuel consumption for the better will be seen with either system for to the significant decrease in ballist once installed. After that it goes to reproping
    Last edited by CornRickey; 07-27-2015 at 12:30 AM.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Regarding your issue.... You need more weight. If you need to turn to the surf side to keep push then you need more weight. Turning to the surf side causing the boat to list more giving the effect of more weight. When I surfed before gates I ran 750 - rear Surf side, 1000 Surfside floor, 1100 ski compartment, 400 playpen, surf side.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Interesting...

So, has anybody been lucky enough to surf behind both systems...the gates and tabs...to compare the wake difference?

I have surfed behind both systems and both seem to work equally well. The main difference in my opinion would be the steering issue. Despite Mr Cornrickeys experience, it has been my experience with my saltare and my santera that having a gate sticking out from the side of your boat makes the handling horrible. When at surf speed they aren't horrible but they always want to turn one derection. When a rider falls you almost have no option but to turn one direction to get back to them or make a huge turn to get back to them. I put the surf tabs on my boat and i would never go back. The room for modification to my tabs is there by being able to adjust the size of the tab as well as the amount of deflection in the fins. I realize that the tabs probably aren't for everyone due to having to drill a couple of hole in your boat but if you want a superior system without having clunking gates hanging off the side and around your boat the tabs are the way to go. And for the record, my system only cost about 450 installed
    Function before fashion!

You make a great case for the lower tabs. What system did you use on your boat?

Quote Originally Posted by CJD View Post
    You make a great case for the lower tabs. What system did you use on your boat?
    It's just a couple of lenco trim tabs, you can see them in my diy wakeshaper thread. Don't get me wrong. Both work great but the ease of the tabs and steering is what led me to the tabs. And this system has been around before the Malibu system.
    Last edited by 2500HD; 07-28-2015 at 09:11 PM.
    Function before fashion!

Cool...I was thinking plain trim tabs would be the easiest solution for the least cost. I'll search for your thread...