Default Newbie boat owner question supra launch ssv

So I just purchased a 2004 launch22ssv. Beautiful looking and operating boat. I spent the weekend boating and enjoyed a lot of quality time on the water. I did some playing with the ballast system, wake plate etc and never found my perfect zone ( for wake boarding). My boat has 1200lb total ballast. 700 up front 250 in each rear locker. It seemed like no matter what I did I could not make a wake solid at 18-23mph. I had to be upward of 27-30 to stiffen up the wake walls and it looked beautiful at those speeds. At Lower speeds it was just soft and crumbling. Can anyone give me some good tips or ideas to try and get the wake lips more consistent at lower speeds?

Thanks!!

Did you GPS the speed to make sure it is correct?
    1987 Supra Saltare
    PCM 454

Yes I was going by GPS speed.

I have a 2011 so I can do a bit more weight but in general try filling up the rear sacs first and leave the center sac empty. Then fill the center sac in thirds till you get the shape you want. The wake plate pushes the nose down and only simulates wore weight in the front. Congrats on the boat and good luck!

Thank you for that advise I will give that route a try. I also noticed that one side of my wake is cleaner than the other and that's with no difference in weight from side to side other than me driving. Any other advise vets?

For wakeboarding chillin said it best. Fill the rears first and honestly 21-23 is the perfect speed for me. Granted Ive got more weight then you but the principle still stays the same you want more weight in the rear, weight in the front tends to flatten out the wake. Also in regards to the wake being cleaner on one side that just how it is. Wake shape also depends on which side the wakeboarder is on. I've noticed that whatever side I cut out on tends to clean up a bit. Good luck with getting it dialed in and I'd recommend getting some bigger ballast in the rear.

Get yourself 2 750 or 1100 for your rear locker. You may not get the full fill on the 1100 but for surfing you will want as much a you can get
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

I have a 2001 22 SSV. Last year I hired a couple of pros (whatever that means) to spend a day with my family teaching us all there is to know about wakeboarding. In the end, there was no extra weight added (all bags empty), and moved a little faster than I thought we would (can't remember exactly what speed), but the wake was perfect. These two guys were making it look easy behind the boat. Flying and spining all over the place. Sometime less is more...

FYI, the kids all did great and progressed a ton that day. Worth every penny ($300 for half the day).

As others have said... for wake boarding:
    1. Start with filling the back tanks.
    2. With only the hard tanks in back at 250lbs each you filling the front at all is almost pointless unless you have a bunch of people in the back also.
    3. Replace tanks in back with sacs, custom sacs that fit properly are 565lbs I think, the 750's are cheaper so can go that route but they won't fill fully anyway.
    4. Front can get 1180lb sac if desired - after you have the bigger back sacs.

We are able get it clean both sides at 17.0 with no ballast, a driver, ~100lb offset of driver weight and full gas tank, wake plate all the way down. If gas tank is not full, then add just a touch of weight to front. You can remain at this config up to about 19.3 and increase the wake plate up 3/4 - all way up and maintain clean wake. Also after about 19.3 in this config the wake gets smaller (boat starts planes out of water more).

One side washy means it's not actually balanced, try adding 50-150lbs to the non driver side, 50 at a time to see how it goes.

Fully weighted, ~1200-1500lbs in back and ~1200lbs in front you can go 21.5-23 (we liked 22) and plate 3/4-all the way up you will can have a huge clean wake.

For wake boarding my wake plate does it all...be sure to play with the best boat angle.