Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default 2008 24SSV Perfect pass headaches

Hey guys, I just bought an 08 24SSV that, while being mechanically sound, had a couple small issues that I didn't notice until I got home. First, and most importantly, was the DBW Perfect Pass system won't engage. Dealer said it worked when he went out, just took it a minute to come down to speed and then it worked fine, but I haven't been able to get it to work. Set it for 23 mph and you'll go up to 25 and down to 21 and it'll ask for throttle at weird times. Also it won't pull someone out of the water consistently. Sometimes if PP is on and you give it gas it'll pull up to speed fine but it won't beep to let you know it's taking over but most commonly it will surge pretty bad and you have to drop the rider and turn PP off. Any one ever experience anything like this? Called Aaron at PP who said they just licensed the software and referred me to Medallion. Medallion, unfortunately, was very unhelpful. Will say they were nice and tried to help, but didn't know anything about the system they had built. Anyone ever seen anything like this? Also local dealer said they've never heard of any problems with the DBW PP and to check the connections for loose wires or corrosion...which, as far as the connections under the gauges, none were in bad shape.

I'd start with the basics...

Make sure the speed shows in the PP window and is reasonable. Chech the throttle servo and linkage. Then check and clean the electrical connectors. 90% of problems will be in those 3 areas.

I take it this is a PP system with a paddle wheel and not GPS?

Sounds as if there is an issue with the speed signal.

Main check is making sure the PP is set up correctly on system off...i.e. does the motor engage and do its test cycle first (a few pulses on the stepper motor and then tighten the slack?)
    Is the linkage tight with no slack?
    Is the cable completely free to move when the engine cover is closed fully?
    There is a test function in the PP display unit, have you run through it to make sure it functions as it should?

It's drive by wire. No servos, no linkages, everything is controlled through the computer. No test function but there is a factory reset which I tried but I do think it's lacking communication somewhere, but there's no wiring diagrams to try to even begin to figure out where the problem is. Several wiring harnesses at the motor go to several wiring harnesses under the dash and a large 36 pin connector. The only thing I could find is a power wire for the PP which gives it the correct voltage. It's a headache

That simplifies it more...

Make sure the speed reading is reasonable and then clean all the connectors.

Not engaging is a little weird, not sure where to start on that one besides making sure all connections were tight. Your PP may be out of calibration as well, and may be reading different speeds than what your factory gauge reads causing an issue with engaging at higher speeds than you think. As for surging, there's calibration that sometimes need to take place when more weight has been added, or a prop change was made, or sometimes it just gets out of wack and you need to adjust the values in PP to help with holding speed. When you have a separate PP gauge, there's instructions for this. Using your medallion system, I'm not really sure what to do. So glad I have the separate gauge and it's not built into a screen! Here's what I found from PP:

http://perfectpass.com/sites/all/the...upramanual.pdf

This is going to be the section that's relevant for the surging:

ADJUSTABLE PULL CHARACTERISTICS

KDW, NN – These background adjustable settings allow you to tailor the pull
    characteristics of WakeboardPro. To access from normal wakeboard screen, highlight
    “M” in upper right hand corner, then press UP Key. Wakeboard will now be highlighted
    as show in Figure 2, press DOWN Key for settings and KDW will appear as shown.

Figure 3

KDW (Throttle Pull Rate) – KDW can be changed using up or down keys. The higher
    the value, the more aggressive the control. Heavy boats may need higher values. Factory
    setting is about 180. Normal range is 100 – 200.

NN (Paddle wheel Filter Factor) – NN is set at about 120. The higher the value the
    more filtering is done. If you feel you boat is surging a little, raise value by 20 or 30.
    (Normal range is 80 – 150).

CS (Control Setting) – There is an adjustable control setting (CS), which primarily
    affects engagement. 2900 is normal, however, if you feel your boat “overshoots” the
    target speed too much, you can lower the value a little. Adjustment of 50 at a time is
    recommended. (Range is 2700 - 3000). (See Figure 4).

Hope that helps.
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

I have a 2008 24SSV that I had to replace the sensor this last year. You have to buy it from Supra, as it is different from the one
    you can buy anywhere else - this one is built into the computer on the 2008 Supra and not a separate unit. It had worked flawlessly
    since new - and works flawlessly since. It was several hundred $$ ($420) - but is just a plug/play unit - get the new one, take out the old
    one (takes 1 minute to swap) and off you go.

This could be your problem - mine was just shot. How many hours on the boat?

This link contains some info - including some troubleshooting pointers from zim (likely what he already put into this thread)

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...hlight=perfect
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

Thanks for the replies, but unfortunately the surging is a lot more severe than what is experienced by PP adjustments. A reset was performed and everything returned to default but the PP still will not engage despite the analog gauge reading speed as well as the PP control screen, which will both read the same, none the less. Also speeds read are very consistent as I get consistent wake shape at the same numbers, so it would appear the paddlewheel/signal receiving unit are all okay.

As for surging, the only way it way it can be described is like it is receiving an intermittent signal or a communications error. The 2008 engagement rpm is set at 725 (Perfect Pass confirmed this number, said the manual online was incorrect) so when you throttle up it goes to 725 or maybe above, and then cuts back, then throttle and cut back, then throttle and cut back. You can do this until you get bored and turn PP off, or sometimes it will throttle up to speed, which getting it up to speed with PP on is uncommon. Once you're up to speed though it won't hold a speed for any amount of time, just seems to walk up, down, and around. I haven't tried moving the PP control up, but I imagine it would be the same thing occurring just at a different rpm. I called the dealer and they call the problem "dead stick" and aren't too sure what to do except check the connections. Unfortunately Medallion doesn't have a wiring diagram for the engine communications which would make that a lot easier.

As for hours on the boat they are 760.

When your PP quit did it read speed on both the analog and screen gauge and were they both consistent?
    Last edited by sailnaked6842; 07-27-2015 at 09:35 AM.

I Don't think I had ANY speed indication at all -- RPM's were correct. I imagine the PP can be put into RPM mode - does it work in that mode?
    I didn't try it. But it was suggested to me as a way to bypass the "wheel" since it operates purely on RPM's which are read directly - and not from the pickup wheel.
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

Ah, yeah mine reads speed accurately on both the analog and digital gauge, even when PP is engaged it will read speed. It'll show the speed set point, highlight the actual speed, randomly tell you W or ask for more throttle even if you're above the set point. It's very annoying. Doesn't work on rpm mode either, although it may be more consistent? It was set for 3000 RPM and stayed level at 3000 when we were heading in, but once it was set for over 3000 rpm it wouldn't move to it and just stayed at 3000.

As for the wheel I think it's okay since it reads speed accurately on both gauges. Only thing that makes sense to me is a communications error from the throttle to the engine (when PP is engaged) or PP is having a communications error with the throttle, ECU or computer, which ever allows PP to control the engine, since it will work fine with PP off. It's like PP is intermittently instructing to speed up or slow down