Default Swim Platform Pad Marking up Interior

My factory swim platform has a black rubbery non-slip pad glued to the top, It's either sea deck or something like sea deck. Well, it's 9 years old and is starting to weather a bit. It still looks pretty good but the annoying thing is that black stuff comes off of it onto people's feet and then gets on my upholstery. Once it gets on the seats, it's almost impossible to clean off.

Has anyone successfully treated their pad with something to stop this? Maybe this is just the catalyst to build a new, smaller platform that is better for surf waves....
    2006 Launch 24 SSV Gravity Games w/8.1

My black pad on my 96 comp did the same thing when I got it. I put armor al or Aerospace 303 protectant on it once in a while and never had a problem tracking black residue in the boat again. It might be slippery at first. But once it hits the water it dilutes. My pad is never left in the sun which helps also.
    Chauncey 2000 Malibu Response LX Monsoon 325

Quote Originally Posted by meteorman View Post
    My factory swim platform has a black rubbery non-slip pad glued to the top, It's either sea deck or something like sea deck. Well, it's 9 years old and is starting to weather a bit. It still looks pretty good but the annoying thing is that black stuff comes off of it onto people's feet and then gets on my upholstery. Once it gets on the seats, it's almost impossible to clean off.

Has anyone successfully treated their pad with something to stop this? Maybe this is just the catalyst to build a new, smaller platform that is better for surf waves....
    On my 2007, when the original black pad started to get inside the boat, I used that for the excuse to purchase a new surf platform.
    That was at the beginning of this year.

I also get that black-stuff from the steps on the inside/drivers side of the boat. I have steps on that side for the cooler and air compressor.

If you want to keep the platform, most people appear to switch to SeaDek. There are plenty of posts on how to remove.

M-

The only reason I'm thinking of replacing mine is because 1 side has 2 holes and a permanent indentation from where the guy before me had a fold up ladder mounted.
    Chauncey 2000 Malibu Response LX Monsoon 325

The surf platform makes a difference in the surf wake and drag.
    I think they look better, but will set you back $1K.

Glad I replaced mine.

M-

Thanks for the tip on the armor all! That will get me through the rest of this season. My plan is to build my own surf platform but at this rate it's going to end up on the winter project list. I'll make sure to use real sea deck on it when I do build it.
    2006 Launch 24 SSV Gravity Games w/8.1