Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anchors?

I use a medium box anchor - I love this anchor more than any other I have used. I also have it attached to an anchor buddy bungee cord, but that would not work at the depths you say you need. No chain required - if it pulls, it rolls over and re-sets. Check them out. They fold flat when you're not using them.
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

OK as a *yachtie* this is a subject i know a fair bit about, so a lot depends on the bottom of the lake / sea / river etc.
    Silt, rocks, Kelp, weed, mud, clay etc.
    The general rule of thumb is 1 by 3, for every one foot / meter in depth you need 3 of rode. The anchor itself relies on the chain to make it work as this created the drag and weight to allow the anchor to lay flat on the bed. A lake is slightly different from flowing water and tidal streams etc so less will be needed, however it depends a lot on surface winds and surface area of the lake where you are mooring your pride and joy. if its a sandy / mud bed i would go for a Bruce or Danforth, if its rock and stone a different design is needed.

I use a mushroom with points anchor (15 lbs), 5 ft chain 150 ft rope. (Not all the rope is necessary all the time, but we have put it all out on occasion). Typically anchor in 25-40 ft water, sometimes with a buddy tied on. Lake and river with muddy/small rock bottom but mostly muck.
    Anchor Image
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    5.7L Indmar Assault
    "One More Hour"

I use a danforth and have never had an issue. I was at a Red Bull Flugtag event on the Mississippi river once -- the current was quick and I was the only boat there that didn't have any anchor problems. Lots of rope, 5' of chain and it just works.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

I tried the Danforth w/o the chain, it worked 1/2 the time. When I added the 5' of chain, never had issues again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400