Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Honest feedback needed - se vs. X23

I am new to Supra boats (currently own Centurion) and am primarily a surfer. Have narrowed search for new boat down to a SE, X23 and FS33. The FS33 is comparable in price, but not quality. X23 is very expensive, but build quality and general feel of the boat is awesome. G23 ride is terrible and just too rough for my lake and the absence of manual switches is also a deal killer (it sucks when ballast won't drain because of a software glitch). I have not ridden in the SE. X23 and FS33 are great. Has anyone compared surf wave and ride of X23 to SE? (I know x23 is shorter, but the absence of dedicated anchor storage on the SG is a killer for me). I know that this is a supra forum and expect some bias, but always looking for feedback. thanks!!

I think you will have better luck with good responses on the Moomba forum. This forum has mostly become about Classic Supras and the new Supra owners are mostly on the Moomba forum because of this. Post this over there and I'm sure you'll get some detailed responses from them. As for my personal opinion, you're comparing two boats that have a foot and a half in length difference so that makes it interesting. Also, I think you should go check out the boat ratings from Southern Surf fest. They had about 10 boats from all of the companies and then surfed and rated their ride, wave, quality etc. The SE was one of the top performers, and it also pulled the Pro Wakeboard & Surf Tour this year. I don't think you'll be disappointed when you demo it, just make sure to demo with the amount of ballast and people you'll be using it with.

I haven't been behind an se but I was behind an x23 last week. The x23 is pretty nice. Plenty of power and a killer wake. My neighbor who has the x23 said he originally wanted a supra but couldn't find what he wanted close to him so he ended up with the mc. Personally I like the looks of the supra way more. With that said I'm a skier so any wake bigger then 3" and I'm impressed but I still hate these boats going past my dock with full ballast.

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady
    Pioneer headunit kicker speakers

I would also strongly suggest the 2016 SA.
    -cjtpilot...........1992 Supra Comp Ts6m..........351 PCM
    Big Air tower
    Radar Theory Slalom, Fulltilt wakeboard, barefoot.

They just reworked the 2016 G hull for better surfing and ride .

I own a SE 450 and could not be happier. In big waves it is a great family ride. I primarily surf and you can't beat the push. I tandem surf with the kids and the wave has a ton of forgiveness. Being 6'5 I need the best wave of I sink. The SE can't be touched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know nothing about the FS33, but as far as comparing the SE to the X23, it's not really the same class of boat. A better comparison from Supra when comparing these boats would be the SG (23 footer).

Any of these boats, X23, SG, or SE will surf incredibly well with their respective surf systems, it's going to come down to what you like as far as driveability, looks, interior feel, gadgets, and of course the price. You'll save some money buying a Supra. You'l have a huge resource of other boat owners if you buy a Mastercraft on teamtalk, and you'll likely never find someone else in your part of town that's even heard of Centurion if you go that route.

The X23 was built as a surf boat. That's it's primary focus. It's a deep V, heavy boat, that is 100% geared towards surfing. The wakeboard wake will be good also, but not as good as say an X-star or X30 when comparing to MC boats. The SE and SG are both built more of a Surf/Wakeboard oriented boats. They don't necessarily push the boat to be better at one or the other, but rather really good at both. You won't be disappointed with the SE's surf wave, I can assure you of that. I've seen it in person, and it's big. The SG would probably be just as good, if not better, because smaller boats are easier to "sink" with ballast and displace more water, and shape a nice wave.

You can't go wrong with any of them. I'd get out and demo everything you're interested in. RickT on this forum is one of the heads of Skiers Choice and will be happy to put you in touch with one of the Rep's or Pro-Riders that have the boats you're interested in, and can give you real world experiences behind them. Get out and demo some boats before the weather gets cold!
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

Quote Originally Posted by BigSurfer View Post
    I own a SE 450 and could not be happier. In big waves it is a great family ride. I primarily surf and you can't beat the push. I tandem surf with the kids and the wave has a ton of forgiveness. Being 6'5 I need the best wave of I sink. The SE can't be touched.

What size board do you ride? I'm a large dude myself, and struggle to find a wave/board combo that let's me throw in the rope.

I surf a 4'11" Ronix Powertail as my primary board. When I tandem I surf a Ronix carbon thruster 5'7". As a big buy you need the wave dialed in. The SE has a huge surf able area. I tend to surf 80 on the left, 60 in front and 100 on the right. During the winter I bought an Indo pro board and that has really advanced my abilities. As a big guy try holding your hand behind your back to get forward momentum. I also love the Phase 5 boards, but given my size it took me progressing a bit before I could surf skim style. As a long time ocean surfer, I gravitate towards hybrid boards. My next board is going to be a custom doomswell.

Can't say enough about my SE wake. I am crazy happy with my SE. I had an SA and loved it and got an SE because I have a big family and wanted a little more seating. The folks at Skiers choice treat there customers like family. Great products and a human connection to customers.