Default Perfect Pass Wigging Out

I installed PP stargazer this spring on my 2000 Launch. I installed the system to the wires leading up to the MDC unit. When I turn on the bilge or fill/empty the ballast tank the PP system goes crazy by turning off and rebooting repeatedly. Guessing there is some power surge or something else going on, but not sure how to check it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mine does it to when I turn on my tower lights and I have three batteries. I was thinking of running it's hot lead directly to battery.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

The voltage to the PP needs to be clean and healthy. Running it in a circuit that is used for any form of power consumption like lights, pumps etc is a bad idea.
    I would suggest you need to find a clean Power and ground.
    When i fitted mine a few weeks ago i powered it up via a new relay from the ignition system. This is fed directly from a new fuse and power feed from the engine area (starter solenoid main cable). Its a little more work routing the wires but in general its not a good idea to go directly to the battery terminals as they are prone to corrosion.

If you do that it will cure your problem.

Oh and the PP has Ignition (Purple) and Ground (Black) only, its not to be permanently fed from the battery so you will need to link it via a relay that operates when the ignition is on.

You need to wire your power wire into your ignition switch. If that doesnt help, you will need to run a ground wire from the perfect pass direct to the battery ground.

PP is a voltage hog! When I unplugged my Perfect Pass, I gained close to 2 full volts according to my gauge.

PP requires a fair bit of power because of the stepper motor drive current, hence i ran mine through an ignition controlled relay and not the gauge feed as per the instructions.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by CornRickey View Post
    Mine does it to when I turn on my tower lights and I have three batteries. I was thinking of running it's hot lead directly to battery.
    I should have been more clear. Running a protected, switched circuit to the battery is what I ment.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

I called PP and they told me how to check the voltage on the PP display by hitting the menu and up, then scroll to "system info", then select battery voltage, which they said should be 11.5 volts minimum. Mine read 9.9 volts without starting the boat, so they suggest wiring the PP power wire (purple) to the back of the ignition switch. So I did that, and was getting slightly better readings of 10.5. After checking the voltage at the battery, back of the ignition switch and at the end of the PP wire where it ties into the master module, it shows around 12. Not sure why the voltage seems good going into the system, but reads low on the display. I am planning on doing what UKandH suggests and add a clean ground from PP to the engine.

Just a little follow up on this... I found my PP hot lead was connected to a gauge hot lead. I relocated it to a available switched spade on the main circuit board and it is showing a continuous 12vlts plus regardless of what is turned on. Works great.
    Last edited by CornRickey; 08-24-2015 at 11:24 PM.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Great result