View Poll Results: Should I promote cheap HLCD in USA ?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course

1 100.00%
  • Probably

0 0%
  • No way

0 0%

Hybrid View

Nice setup, leds make it even more crazy !
    How do you deal with filtering/connexion ?

I saw filters on the rear of compressions, but how are filtered woofers ? Do you use 2 channel amp for comps, and 2 channel amp for woofers ?
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Quote Originally Posted by Sdc77 View Post
    Nice setup, leds make it even more crazy !
    How do you deal with filtering/connexion ?

I saw filters on the rear of compressions, but how are filtered woofers ? Do you use 2 channel amp for comps, and 2 channel amp for woofers ?
    Sdc,

The mid-bass woofers also have their own passive cross-over. Each component has a 4 ohm nominal impedance. The bass KMS67 setup includes a pair of mid-bass woofers and a pair of Compression drivers. This setup is designed with the intent that a mid and a compression driver will be wired together in parallel, but they can actually be run as individuals. When each mid- and compression driver is wired together, the cross-overs allow for the nominal impedance at the amp, to maintain at 4 ohm. This makes this setup ideal to bridge on a 4 chnl amp or a typical 2 chnl stereo. When a pair of the extra mids, for which we call the "6-Pack" is added in and wired in parallel, the nominal impedance drops to 2 ohm. At this point, a 2 chnl amp or a 2nd 4 chnl is the ideal setup.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

My bad... Kicker is what I was thinking of with HLCD options, not RF. You're correct Stephane.
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

Fosgate actually does offer an HLCD. Its an 8" mid-bass but uses only a 1" compression driver. The Wet Sounds Rev series uses a 2" and the Kicker KMS67 uses a 1.7" compression driver for comparison. This reduces overall power handling as well as mid-bass extension. From what I understand, it also has a very simple cross over like commonly found on a traditional 2-way coax. The horn flare looks somewhat long with parallel walls, then abruptly ends with little flare.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

Hi Michael,
    Curious how sounds PM282HW Fosgate HLCD.
    I installed M262B on my friend's Wakesetter, and it ... sucks ! No any power handling, absolutly no bass out of it, had to cut it @250Hz high pass to get some SPL. Got 4 of them on a class D Fosgate amp. No way to get high quality sound.

He asked me about a HLCD transformation
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

absolutely hard pressed to get any real bass out of a 6.5" for sure, but I see no reason they would not run as low as 125HZ hi-pass but 250HZ will certainly allow for them to be driven harder but the trade off is SQ. IMO, 120W with a strong source signal is about all they will take. But keep in mind that that speaker is a true IB speaker as its their same in-boat M262 just in a pod. That small pod displacement is going to effect the mid-bass.

I have not heard the 8" HLCD in person yet, but the feedback i got was it was a little peaky at 10K
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio