View Poll Results: Should I promote cheap HLCD in USA ?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course

1 100.00%
  • Probably

0 0%
  • No way

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yes Mike, my speakers are not marine grade ... yet !
    I'm in touch with a speaker builder. I asked to clone Faital 8FE200 in marine grade material. I'm waiting for answer and price. Once I get marinized speakers, I can try to sell a real boat HLCD for everyone

Trayson, I will be under Kicker KM6500.2's price (30% less), with 8" woofers instead. I would be curious to hear your setup man
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Quote Originally Posted by Sdc77 View Post
    Yes Mike, my speakers are not marine grade ... yet !
    I'm in touch with a speaker builder. I asked to clone Faital 8FE200 in marine grade material. I'm waiting for answer and price. Once I get marinized speakers, I can try to sell a real boat HLCD for everyone

Trayson, I will be under Kicker KM6500.2's price (30% less), with 8" woofers instead. I would be curious to hear your setup man
    I got mine for a lot lower than retail. My boat already had 4 cans with Polk Coaxials, so for $200, I was able to replace those with a closeout deal on the KM6500.2 drivers. Then later on, I added two more cans ($140) and another pair of the midrange speakers ($100). SO all in, I'm at $440 with re-using the Ariel enclosures that I already had.

Since the speakers were previously wired using 4 channels of power, I was actually able to repurpose some of the existing tower wiring. I went from a 4 channel amp to using a 2 channel amp at 2ohms. so it only meant I needed 4 of the 8 conductors. I used the "extra" wire to add LED rings and LED cone lighting to my speakers. I think it came out fantastic.

Still probably more money than yours, but pretty good for using off the shelf proven marine grade components. I've been told that my setup is equivalent to a pair of the 8" HLCD speakers (like the WS Rev8 or the Exile XM9)
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Nice setup, leds make it even more crazy !
    How do you deal with filtering/connexion ?

I saw filters on the rear of compressions, but how are filtered woofers ? Do you use 2 channel amp for comps, and 2 channel amp for woofers ?
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Quote Originally Posted by Sdc77 View Post
    Nice setup, leds make it even more crazy !
    How do you deal with filtering/connexion ?

I saw filters on the rear of compressions, but how are filtered woofers ? Do you use 2 channel amp for comps, and 2 channel amp for woofers ?
    Sdc,

The mid-bass woofers also have their own passive cross-over. Each component has a 4 ohm nominal impedance. The bass KMS67 setup includes a pair of mid-bass woofers and a pair of Compression drivers. This setup is designed with the intent that a mid and a compression driver will be wired together in parallel, but they can actually be run as individuals. When each mid- and compression driver is wired together, the cross-overs allow for the nominal impedance at the amp, to maintain at 4 ohm. This makes this setup ideal to bridge on a 4 chnl amp or a typical 2 chnl stereo. When a pair of the extra mids, for which we call the "6-Pack" is added in and wired in parallel, the nominal impedance drops to 2 ohm. At this point, a 2 chnl amp or a 2nd 4 chnl is the ideal setup.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

My bad... Kicker is what I was thinking of with HLCD options, not RF. You're correct Stephane.
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

Fosgate actually does offer an HLCD. Its an 8" mid-bass but uses only a 1" compression driver. The Wet Sounds Rev series uses a 2" and the Kicker KMS67 uses a 1.7" compression driver for comparison. This reduces overall power handling as well as mid-bass extension. From what I understand, it also has a very simple cross over like commonly found on a traditional 2-way coax. The horn flare looks somewhat long with parallel walls, then abruptly ends with little flare.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

Hi Michael,
    Curious how sounds PM282HW Fosgate HLCD.
    I installed M262B on my friend's Wakesetter, and it ... sucks ! No any power handling, absolutly no bass out of it, had to cut it @250Hz high pass to get some SPL. Got 4 of them on a class D Fosgate amp. No way to get high quality sound.

He asked me about a HLCD transformation
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

absolutely hard pressed to get any real bass out of a 6.5" for sure, but I see no reason they would not run as low as 125HZ hi-pass but 250HZ will certainly allow for them to be driven harder but the trade off is SQ. IMO, 120W with a strong source signal is about all they will take. But keep in mind that that speaker is a true IB speaker as its their same in-boat M262 just in a pod. That small pod displacement is going to effect the mid-bass.

I have not heard the 8" HLCD in person yet, but the feedback i got was it was a little peaky at 10K
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio