Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Keeping Mice Out When Winterized

This will be the first winter I will be storing my boat, in a garage at the lake. I'm worried about mice getting in and doing a number on the interior. Besides traps, is there any other ways to keep these varmints off my boat?

I have heard that placing drier sheets such that one uses in their laundry , in strategic locations inside your boat discourages mice infiltration.
    Personally, I have never had an issue so have not tried that method.
    Good luck

Dont know if the dryer sheets actually stop the mice I never had any mice but the do make the boat smell nice.

Keep the boat very clean and don't leave a crumb inside for them to be attracted to. Some traps around the exterior of the shed might help. I know a 5 gal bucket 1/2 full of water with peanut butter smeared around the inside lip with a small stick leaning up to the top of the bucket is a good low Mx mouse trap. They climb up the stick, try to get the peanut butter, fall in the bucket, can't climb up the sides and eventually get exhausted and drown.

the dryer sheet works great, RV users have used this trick for years. i have done just that and have had great luck using dryer sheets.

Like the dryer sheet idea. We used moth balls placed strategically around in tin foil trays. Ha, you can imagine the smell is different from dryer sheets and takes a few weeks to air out in the spring. It definitely worked though.

I've had a bad rat problem in our boat shed in the past...and in the storage unit where we keep the boat in dry storage. I've never had a rat in the boat, though. They can do a lotta damage if they get in, but I don't think they can get in unless you give them a route. Be sure not to lean boards or have the cover hanging over the side to the ground.

One other suggestion that does work is to stuff fine ( not course) steel wool into any exterior openings where you feel the mice may be able to gain access into the inside of your boat.

Dryer sheets always have worked for me. I buy a box at the .99 store and use the entire thing.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

It's too early to think about this...LOL.