Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 93 Sunsport High Idle After Cruise

Hey guys, just picked up a 93 Sunsport and so far it's a great boat. Only issue I'm currently having is after cruising for a little while at fairly high rpm, upon returning back to neutral the idle will sometimes stick high at about 2k rpm and sometimes even 3k rpm. The only way to return the idle to normal is to turn the key off and restart the boat, which cures the issue every time. Thus I am leaning toward it not being a cable issue. Probably something with the carb. I checked the secondary butterflies and they are not sticking open. I also cleaned and lubed the cable linkage to no avail.

Engine is a PCM 351 HO. Any thoughts?

Anyone????

Mine sometimes idles higher than where I would like after I do a run that requires the secondaries to open up. I usually pull it to neutral, disengage the transmission and bump the throttle real quick and it settles down at the lower idle I desire. I plan on sorting this issue out next year though as I am winterizing Tuesday and don't want to start something I can't finish this year.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Thanks for the info. I thought it might be the secondaries so I took the flame arrestor off and checked them out when the idle was up high, and they didn't look open. Unless they were opened so little that the naked eye could not tell.

I have isolated my issue to the secondaries when I did some runs this summer at various stages of my rebuild, I only had the high idle after I gave it enough throttle to cause the secondaries to open up. If they stayed closed, it would return to the normal idle. I would try and test your carb the same way. Do a run with just the primaries open and then return to idle. If it idles normally, I would say that you found your problem.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

If that is the problem, do you think a carb rebuild would solve it?

Does anyone know if a carb rebuild would likely fix the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Straitcountry86 View Post
    Does anyone know if a carb rebuild would likely fix the issue?
    I'd put my money on yes.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

I'm not the greatest with carbs but it sound to me like something electronic on the carb isn't working properly. If your turning off the boat to reset the idle it's seems electrical. With my limited carb knowledge I'm pretty sure these things are suppose to be tuned when the engine is warm. Could the idle or fuel be set too high and when it's warm it's staying at the high idle position. Take all that with a grain of salt but to me it's a carb issue.

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady
    Pioneer headunit kicker speakers

Bump to the top as it is time for me to try and solve this issue.