Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: $4000 later

Default $4000 later

I bought a 1986 Supra Beast. It has a 460 ford inboard motor that has been marinized.

-replaced impeller
    -replaced thermostat
    -replaced regular water pump ($50)
    -replaced hoses
    -took heads off they were severly WARPED had machine place grind down installed all new gaskets was told this was likely the problem. IT WASNT!!!
    -replaced all other water pumps (I believe raw water or sea water pump?)
    -Place that has done all this work says WATER FLOW IS GOOD.

What the HECK could be next? I bought this boat for $1500, and for the first week it ran fine. NOW IT RUNS AT 220 OR HIGHER after over 4000k of labor and parts. Does anyone have any idea on what could be causing this? When i feel the hose that takes water into the motor, it is cool. When i touch the hoses that the water comes out of the engine they are HOT and you can barely touch. The big silver exhaust manifolds? are always too hot to even touch as well. Was told you should be able to rest your hand on those! Any help would be great. Thanks guys! ((((((((((

Did you install the raw water pump to flow water the correct way? That is easy to fix, check and easy to mess up the first time. Take a picture of the front of the engine, then a close up of the raw water pump and also tell us what the rotation is of the engine as I am not familiar with a Ford 460.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Check the thermostat cover. They can get severe rust build up and constrict flow to the exhaust manifolds and through the thermostat housing. Also remove block drains and run water through the motor. Some times you can get rust and sediment build up in the cooling jackets.

Also check that you have a 140 degree marine thermostat. Depending on your exact cooling system the t-stat may require a bypass hole in it.

Try to run boat with raw water intake hose in a bucket full of water NOT using a hose to feed it. If the engine does not SUCK through this hose (and quick!) then something is wrong.

If the mechanic is "pushing" water through the engine with a hose, this is your problem. My money is on the raw-water pump being backwards or the impeller being roasted. And the raw water pump is NEW? Not just serviced?

Also -- pull the thermostat out. No reason to even have it in there until you get the engine running cool.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

The boat is back with the mechanic. WOTAN- Impeller been replaced for the second time this summer. He said he replaced the raw water pump, not just serviced. JETLINK- I would assume this boat mechanic who has fixed many boats on my lake (much newer) put the raw water pump on the right way. I can't get any pics right now because it is back at the shop. Will try to later next week. WULPHIE- I was told by several boat fanatics that thermostats are to make sure the boat runs smoother, and also make sure that the engine doesn't get too cool, SO at one point I actually removed the thermostat to make sure water flow would be sufficient. The boat STILL OVERHEATED. Since then a new thermostat was installed.

Man, what you are describing leads me to believe that the pump was installed incorrectly and therefore is not able to draw water to the engine and cool it. Your mechanic might be the best out there but he is like the rest of us, human and we are prone to making mistakes. If the impeller is cooked for a second time already, that is where my money is going. Just as an example, I am now on my second impeller in my raw water pump since I took ownership of my boat 5 years ago and I replaced it only because it came in the new pump like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Awill10291 View Post
    The boat is back with the mechanic. WOTAN- Impeller been replaced for the second time this summer. He said he replaced the raw water pump, not just serviced. JETLINK- I would assume this boat mechanic who has fixed many boats on my lake (much newer) put the raw water pump on the right way. I can't get any pics right now because it is back at the shop. Will try to later next week. WULPHIE- I was told by several boat fanatics that thermostats are to make sure the boat runs smoother, and also make sure that the engine doesn't get too cool, SO at one point I actually removed the thermostat to make sure water flow would be sufficient. The boat STILL OVERHEATED. Since then a new thermostat was installed.
    This is why I said to check the system for obstructions, rust etc. If the t-stat housing is constricting the flow from rust it doesn't mater if the t-stat is installed or not. Same with rust/sediment build up in the block.

The only reason the engine will overheat is because it is not flowing water. By eliminating the probability of the pumps not working and t-stat not opening then there has to be a blockage.

Here is my last two emails to mechanic.....

We have been thru all that. Your problem is you dont have a supra 351 marine engine. You have a ford farm truck engine someone has tried to hot rod very poorly i might add. They took the 351 marine engine out and put this engine in. They put a 460 in with a 429 intake and munched the lifters and bent push rods with warped heads. Ill look it over next week. We had it running well and it ran around wshores for 20 minutes wo going over 175 degrees. Dont know what happened there after. So either something new has sprung up or those heads warped again. Hopefully it is something simple but i wouldnt hold my breath.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S® 6.

-------- Original message --------
    Date: 9/4/2015 12:54 PM (GMT-06:00)
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: RE: supra

I know you guys are probably more frustrated with the Supra than me. I’m just trying to help here and posted in the SUPRA boat forum. Almost every Supra owner said that it is very common for the raw water pump to be installed the wrong direction. The only other ideas I’ve gotten so far is an obstruction in the water flow, rust in the t-stat housing even if the t-stat is removed, rust sediment and build up in the block. Maybe this will help, maybe not?

Thanks,

Austin

Pardon my ignorance but an engine is an engine first and foremost. Sure, the 460 is not standard to these boats but at the end of the day, it works the same way as every other engine should in theory. Mix gas with air in the proper ratio, add spark and there you go. There is always the byproduct of heat from the combustion process and that is what you are having issues with. I can speak from experience because I stored my boat without the old pump over the winter and when I put the new one on, I put it on backwards, figured it out really fast that I did and as soon as I fixed the rotation my exhaust risers and tubes were cool enough to touch which sounds exactly like your problem that you are having. If I were a professional mechanic and I installed the pump backwards it might be a blow to my pride but no reason to get an attitude about it like the general tone of the email from your mechanic reads in my mind.

I would agree. I am beyond fed up with him. The thing is I'm done paying a dime to this guy, but my dad who knows him really likes him because he was able to fix his sea ray several times and done a nice job. I would totally agree with you JETLINK! I'll send ya pics when i get a chance. Then you will be able to tell if it is installed the wrong way?