Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: $4000 later

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    Sorry but your mechanic is A) Full of shit. and B) Completely wrong. This guy is a crook.
    When you get some more time later in the day, would you mind telling me what you really think about this mechanic and don't hold back.

I totally agree with everything that you have said above. This mechanic is so clueless that he is just firing from the hip and saying stuff that he is hoping the OP just accepts as truth. I would run over and grab the boat and whatever else is yours from his shop and go find someone else because at this point in time, anybody else is better than this mechanic.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Since you've checked everything else, blockage from a trashed pump rotor sounds the most obvious. I'd remove the thermostat and run it to see what the temp does. If its still hot with no thermostat, then you have a blockage. Try back flushing to blow the blockage...but if that doesn't work, you'll have to start taking parts apart to find it.

By the way, what "rods" is he talking about? Has he broken it down far enough to replace connecting rods?

Thanks for the replies. On a bright note he agrees that this has been a pain and isn't charging us anymore than the current bill regardless of what it takes to get running at normal temp. He showed me the size of a regular raw water pump and a Bravo pump (big block raw water pump) and there was a significant difference. He also said something similar to what an above poster said. He said that the homemade brackets that someone put on for the current raw water pump were moving around causing flow issues and so they had to tighten something in order for even the one that is on there now to work effectively. He told me they have checked multiple times for blockage. I don't even know where I would start to check for blockage myself. We've tried no thermostat and still overheats just as fast.

I went through what you're going through a few years back. Mechanic I used for an io I had was recommended to me then 8 months later and two engines I had to bring him to court. Seriously the worst summer of my life. If this guy isn't charging you to replace the pump let him do it. If that doesn't work you need to find a new mechanic that knows what he's doing. Just from reading these posts I can't imagine another pump fixing the issue. If you're getting flow from the current pump you shouldn't be over heating like you are. If I were you I would go down there have him unhook the intake hose and watch the pump suck up the bucket of water. If it's doing that then you have a blockage of its not then the pump is either bad or it's backwards. I'm pretty good with engines and Water pumps. I run an ice rink during the winter that has 4 zambonis and they all have two raw water pumps on them so I have had to rebuild them a few times. These Sherwood pumps are the same ones Zamboni runs and they will cycle a few hundred gallons during an ice cut so if they can move that kind of water then they should have zero problem cooling a big block. Just my two cents

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady
    Pioneer headunit kicker speakers

I'm with Cusefan, when you watch one of these pumps pull water from a bucket at idle there's no doubt a regular properly functioning sherwood will pull more water than you need to cool anything. Mine will empty a 5 gallon pail in about 20 seconds, if that's not enough to cool your motor, there is something seriously wrong. This guy does not know what he's doing, get your boat and find someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by chris young View Post
    This guy does not know what he's doing, get your boat and find someone else.
    But then how will this "mechanic" learn anything at the owner's expense?
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Point taken LOL. My uncle (one of the quickest witted people I know) once told a mechanic who was charging a lot of labour, "it's not up to me to fund your education"

Yeah this guy is clearly clueless and is trying to learn on the job and charge for it. Pull the boat from him and get it to someone who know what he or she is doing. I would start with the raw water pump. Make sure it's pumping. If it is pull the circulation pump and clean out all the cooling Ports all the way to the risers. It's pretty simple job if you take your time and keep track of where everything goes. You can also get a service manual on line to help you out. Plus we are all here if you get stuck.

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady
    Pioneer headunit kicker speakers

I had another idea this morning -- I don't think OP is interested in working on this boat. I think he needs to find an experienced inboard (or at least a marine mechanic.) Does anyone near nebraska have any referrals for him?
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

The thing most boat shops won't even work on this boat for me. I called and explained 1986 Supra with 460 engine and they said that it's too old. Omaha Marine that is. FYI this mechanic took the boat out twice last week and it did the same thing it does with me. If you are flying around the lake it stays at 150-175. Then when you slow down it goes to 220 and it stays there! When the boat is running and you pull the hoses off where they go into the motor (where thermostat was) water is flowing. FYI CJD he has taken I think most the engine apart and the heads were the most warped heads the machine shop had ever seen. Those were grinded down and supposedly just fine now so that is not the issue. I'm all for calling this guy out, but how can he not know anything when he owns a boat shop over 50 boats there. Plus he's fixed our Sea Ray multiple times in the last 8 years with no issues and decent rates... I should post my bills on here shortly to show what you guys have all done.
    Last edited by Awill10291; 10-08-2015 at 01:01 PM.