Hybrid View

Default Drive shaft seal failure . lasdrop bellow

You heard it right . Was on the water for about an hour and started to pull the tube around . When the boat seemed sluggesh and weighted . I kicked the bilge on and had water .

So I opened the motor hood and bam ! There was water rushing in !

I had everyone sit on the bow to plain out and headed for the dock . Stopped and got trailered , it took 20min to drain with everything open and bilge pumps on ! .

So now that I have almost sunk the boat , what would be the best shaft seal for these 1" shafts . And what do I need to measure to order or price the new set up . ?

Also I've seen some with a hose connected to it . What is that all about ?
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Quote Originally Posted by lively View Post
    You heard it right . Was on the water for about an hour and started to pull the tube around . When the boat seemed sluggesh and weighted . I kicked the bilge on and had water .

So I opened the motor hood and bam ! There was water rushing in !

I had everyone sit on the bow to plain out and headed for the dock . Stopped and got trailered , it took 20min to drain with everything open and bilge pumps on ! .

So now that I have almost sunk the boat , what would be the best shaft seal for these 1" shafts . And what do I need to measure to order or price the new set up . ?

Also I've seen some with a hose connected to it . What is that all about ?
    That one with a hose attached to it is probably a dripless shaft seal. If you are at that point in time, I would just go that route.

This is what I bought for mine.

http://www.skidim.com/PSS-SHAFT-SEAL...fo/PY1HG10X17/
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

P.S.S. Packless is the way to go. You need to measure the prop shaft and the log to know what size to order. The hose is connected to cool and lubricate the interface between the stainless steel piece that pre-loads and the seal that attaches to the log.

When you replace it pays to not only align the coupler but the prop shaft in the log as well. If the shaft is not centered the stainless piece will not meet the log seal squarely and can cause premature wear to the log seal.

I've posted some pics to see what I have , the issue is that I'm out of adjustment for side to side on the engine and Trans to center up the shaft . . I'm gonna have to look at adjusting These mounts to get it in line when the image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgPSS comes in . It looks like the shaft sealing "ring" on mine locked against the stainless coupler and the just turned the bellow open . I had to take a flat head to walk the two apart . I'll have to look at that shaft some more to make sure it's sound .

I had a similar seal setup on my Pirata. Mine wore out the face of the seal from poor shaft to log alignment. Face of the seal probably had a 5 degree bevel on it from top to bottom.

My issue is now I need to correct shaft to shaft log alignment and I don't have enough side to side to correct it . So do yall know the best way going about it ? Cause I made a aluminum spacer for the left Trans mount looking at the engine to have the mount grab due to the alignment being off . Maybe have to free it back up and look what's the best route . . Are there different engine mounts that allow more movement ? Or are these pretty much standard ?

Quote Originally Posted by lively View Post
    My issue is now I need to correct shaft to shaft log alignment and I don't have enough side to side to correct it . So do yall know the best way going about it ? Cause I made a aluminum spacer for the left Trans mount looking at the engine to have the mount grab due to the alignment being off . Maybe have to free it back up and look what's the best route . . Are there different engine mounts that allow more movement ? Or are these pretty much standard ?
    Huh? Post a pic of this spacer please?
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski