Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Not sure if it's factory but my dripless has no hose. It's a PSS from at least 1998 when I got it. No idea why hoses are needed now if they weren't then.

PSS has been good to work with. I had to replace the rubber boot once. They helped me find the right part instead of having to replace all of it.

That's good to know salt , look at the part number and website can you confirm that looks like a pss seal ,?
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Quote Originally Posted by lively View Post
    It has (2) 3" pieces . Maybe PO cut a 6" ?

Aaah... Not obvious in the pick. It's 2 bearings...rather than one bearing in 2 pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by lively View Post
    That's good to know salt , look at the part number and website can you confirm that looks like a pss seal ,?
    It looks like it to me. Not sure what the Lasdrop sticker is. PSS parts here- http://www.shaftseal.com/en/categories

I doubt I have the part number and won't be at my boat for a while.

I'm surprised the bellow doesn't just bend to one side to accommodate shaft out of alignment. Since the bellow is secured to the shaft log with hose clamps it's possible for that to shift also. PSS site says to overhaul some of the parts every 6 years. Makes sense but I haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty87 View Post
    Not sure if it's factory but my dripless has no hose. It's a PSS from at least 1998 when I got it. No idea why hoses are needed now if they weren't then.
    Interesting, maybe they just found it to be more reliable/longer lasting with the hose connection. I read something a while ago about stuffing boxes, and part of the reason for a drip was that you don't want air trapped in the stuffing box area below the boat. This may be much more applicable to salt water, and/or bigger cruisers that don't go up on plane and back down frequently (if at all) like a ski boat.

I'll try to find the source... edit: here it is., page 2 under the heading 'Why It Should Drip Some.'

Thoughts?

that why mine failed i think , if you back up in the thread , miss alignment for sure had play in the culprit but ive been running it like that for 4 yrs and i think with a water cooled it probably would have lasted longer ..
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

I didn't read the original thread but I have personal experience with this. With a traditional packing you need it to drip to be sure there is a bit of water between the packing and the shaft. If you over tighten, the packing will overheat, and it will wear the shaft. It is an interesting point though, if you're up on plane, there probably not a lot of water getting to the packing, drip or no drip hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by SquamInboards View Post
    Interesting, maybe they just found it to be more reliable/longer lasting with the hose connection. I read something a while ago about stuffing boxes, and part of the reason for a drip was that you don't want air trapped in the stuffing box area below the boat. This may be much more applicable to salt water, and/or bigger cruisers that don't go up on plane and back down frequently (if at all) like a ski boat.

I'll try to find the source... edit: here it is., page 2 under the heading 'Why It Should Drip Some.'

Thoughts?
    Interesting, it specifically says even PSS has now added a water line.

I'm sure it affects cruisers who will motor for hours more than it does us. I've never noticed any heating but haven't checked for it before. Thanks for the link.