Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

So, do all four engine mounts have a spacer, one side, or just one of them? I guess I got lucky when I did mine because my transmission output flange and the prop shaft flange matched up perfectly after all that work.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    So, do all four engine mounts have a spacer, one side, or just one of them? I guess I got lucky when I did mine because my transmission output flange and the prop shaft flange matched up perfectly after all that work.
    yeah i noticed that you left a little of the stringer material or the "bilge lip " looked like a great idea , when i did mine i did one side at a time and ground it all out , but i only have one spacer on that one mount due to the trans body is farther away from the inner stringer than the engine block ...lol if that makes sense ,

what i think will help is mounting new mounts on top of the stringer and that would move the drive line over 1/4" which is all i need to be shaft to shaft log plum .
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Something like this image.jpg

I am surprised that even with the extreme engine/trans adjustment that the shaft/log are still that far out of alignment.

When I re-powered my Pirata I went with a Mercruiser engine. It uses different mounts than the PCM. I will try to get you pictures of the trans mounts with measurements so you can see if that style mount will help your situation.

That's what I don't get . The stringers look center to me . And maybe I've just adjusted it wrong . Idk . Just gonna step back and look at it for a day or two

What may have happened is that you aligned the coupler correctly but with the shaft seal installed on the log. That way you never noticed that the shaft was not aligned in the log. Your strut may be a little out of wack causing the miss alignment in the log.

The first time I set mine up that was basically what I did. In my case I did not factor in the weight of the coupler causing the prop shaft to "sag" in the log. I noticed this when I removed the leaky seal and replaced with the pss. I paid close attention to centering the prop shaft the best I could while making sure the shaft was not binding in the cutlass bearing.

I hope this makes sense and helps you out

I just tried to re align mine in the spring. I loosened the strut and moved it as much as it would go without making the mounting holes any bigger, and it made a bit of difference, so there's a bit of wiggle room there

i got what your saying .. hey have yall ever tried the flex couplings ? do they work for small mis alignment ? i mean i know mine is a 1/8-1/4" from being center .. i was looking at them last night cause we use them on our elevator motors when we align them .

also getting the coupler off to service the seal ? just the set screws and pull it off with allthread ?

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Ok a few questions :

1. Are these couplers supposed to be press fit onto shaft ?
    2. The shaft has a small lip from the seal heating up and failing , should I take it it get machined or buy a new shaft and coupler ?
    3. Before I stabbed the engine 5 yrs ago I pulled the coupler and shaft together to replace the bellow . But when I removed the set screws the coupler slipped right off and there are two set screw divets in the shaft where the set screws landed . Is that ok ? Does it create a stress point ?
    4. Is the prop shaft centered with the rudder or off to the right ? Cause mines off to the right a bit . And when I tried to budge the prop shaft to meet shaft to shaft log true I felt tension and seems I'll have to move strut a bit .

Thanks for the help gents !

Quote Originally Posted by lively View Post
    That's what I don't get . The stringers look center to me . And maybe I've just adjusted it wrong . Idk . Just gonna step back and look at it for a day or two
    Yeah, take a step back and just look at what you did...

Kidding, I admired your work when you did your resto.

As for your question about the shaft, not sure mine will be of much help but here is a pick of the end of my shaft and coupler when I pulled the engine.
    100_1852.jpg
    If you look closely, there is a nut down in the center of the coupler that is threaded on the shaft. There are also two set screws which are probably in the same location as your coupler. From what I can gather is that I have a slightly beefed up coupler and shaft compared to a few boats on here like Rob's Salt which seems to have an affinity for slipping the shaft from the coupler.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski